Debit Cards for Refunds in VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debit Cards for Refunds in VA

As indicated on the 60 minutes segment mentioned in an earlier thread, much ID theft uses this method for getting refunds. VA is reverting to direct deposit or check effective with 2015 tax refunds.

Another Virginia solution

Interesting.

My few Virginia filers, with refunds, said "No way!" to the debit cards when such became available.

It is worth noting that The Commonwealth has also added a nice little tweak (so far "optional") by asking VA filers to show the last five digits of their state driver license number(s) on their tax return.

Such a simple measure might easily slow down many fraudulent returns if the option were to become a requirement. I also think a federal PIN for each taxpayer would also be a path to consider. That would be something you would NOT provide to the doctor, or to your employer, or to a school.

FE

Comment

New number

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      Interesting.

My few Virginia filers, with refunds, said "No way!" to the debit cards when such became available.

It is worth noting that The Commonwealth has also added a nice little tweak (so far "optional") by asking VA filers to show the last five digits of their state driver license number(s) on their tax return.

Such a simple measure might easily slow down many fraudulent returns if the option were to become a requirement. I also think a federal PIN for each taxpayer would also be a path to consider. That would be something you would NOT provide to the doctor, or to your employer, or to a school.

FE
      Good idea with a federal PIN because to have people use the five digits of their state driver license number is a problem. Everyone does not have a drivers license.

Seems it's getting to the point of assigning numbers and codes that you don't need your name anymore to identify who you are!
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
      X