Moving Expense Deduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Expense Deduction?

Don't do much of this but had client in 2014 move from Minnesota to Hawaii and had some mileage expense only. The move took place in November. Seems to me that some qualifications are needed like time worked in the new place. He is employed in Hawaii. Would I be able to deduct the expense in 2014 or wait until 2015?

Originally posted by zeros View Post
    Don't do much of this but had client in 2014 move from Minnesota to Hawaii and had some mileage expense only. The move took place in November. Seems to me that some qualifications are needed like time worked in the new place. He is employed in Hawaii. Would I be able to deduct the expense in 2014 or wait until 2015?
    Please refer to pub 521, particularly the distance and time test:

Your move will meet the distance test if your new main job location is at least 50 miles farther from your former home than your old main job location was from your former home. And the 39 week work requirement in the first 12 months after the move.

If the moving expenses were fully paid in 2014 you can take the deduction in the 2014 return. I am assuming the 2014 return is on extension?

These is a nice flowcart in pub 521 that you can use.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

TTB page 3-21

Read 3-21 in TTB and then get back to me if you need more help.

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
        Don't do much of this but had client in 2014 move from Minnesota to Hawaii and had some mileage expense only.
        Would be interested to see how vehicle mileage was calculated to Hawaii........

Comment

Working...
        X