Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the IRS allow me to fax these docs in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the IRS allow me to fax these docs in?

For tax year 2014

I forgot to attach the 1099-B summary of stock transactions (LT and ST). Form 8453 probably should accompany this.

Also, forgot to include letter from Financial Institution that recharacterized the TP's Roth IRA back to a Traditional IRA. Don't think accompanying form 8453 will help.

Your thoughts.
    Last edited by AZ-Tax; 06-24-2015, 11:39 PM.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    For tax year 2014

I forgot to attach the 1099-B summary of stock transactions (LT and ST). Form 8453 probably should accompany this.

Also, forgot to include letter from Financial Institution that recharacterized the TP's Roth IRA back to a Traditional IRA. Don't think accompanying form 8453 will help.

Your thoughts.
    I had wondered about that once and could not find any reliable fax number unless a notice was issued and that had a fax#.

I say wait till the notice is issued and then you can take care of it.

What is the status of the return, still processing or processed and refund issued if any?
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Usually the IRS gives me a fax #

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      I had wondered about that once and could not find any reliable fax number unless a notice was issued and that had a fax#.

I say wait till the notice is issued and then you can take care of it.

What is the status of the return, still processing or processed and refund issued if any?
      When I call the IRS about faxing in a POA, the person you talk to usually gives me a fax #. Anyone know of the recent hold time with the IRS for a tax practitioner?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        When I call the IRS about faxing in a POA, the person you talk to usually gives me a fax #. Anyone know of the recent hold time with the IRS for a tax practitioner?
        The fax # you will receive to fax POA from practitioner line will vary depending on which office/area of office gets your call. Yesterday I was on hold 3 1/2 hours to speak w/ someone.

Comment

?

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
          The fax # you will receive to fax POA from practitioner line will vary depending on which office/area of office gets your call. Yesterday I was on hold 3 1/2 hours to speak w/ someone.
          Does this help?

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
            There is a central number to fax in POA's. However, they generally take several days/weeks to become effective. While on the phone w/ practitioner line you can fax through POA to go directly to the agents area so they will discuss matter w/ you immediately.

Comment

Good

There is a central number to fax in POA's. However, they generally take several days/weeks to become effective. While on the phone w/ practitioner line you can fax through POA to go directly to the agents area so they will discuss matter w/ you immediately.
              Do you or anyone have this CENTRAL number to share? Hopefully, it remains the same number

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                Do you or anyone have this CENTRAL number to share? Hopefully, it remains the same number
                Actually, you already did. It's right on the instructions for 2848.

Comment

Oh!

Actually, you already did. It's right on the instructions for 2848.
                  When you said "there is a central #" thought it was only one number because some posters were looking for fax #. The link I posted contains numbers (plural) for the "areas".

It must be too much listening to Axl Rose music from Indiana that one has to stay away from when working.

Comment

My advise

1. Regarding the missing brokerage report. If you did not tell IRS that Form 8453 would be sent in, I would venture a guess that the likelihood of you ever hearing from IRS on this is very small, 1% or less.

2. Typically the IRS does not look at explantions attached to returns. So again, I would do nothing and just wait and see.

These feelings are based on my experience with these issues over many years.

Comment

Working...
                    X