Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
    Interesting. Just curious as to how you would defend your work if a client tried to say you made an error on a return over 3 years ago? Is there a statute of limitations for a client to make a claim against preparer?
    If interested, reference the IRS code
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
      If interested, reference the IRS code
      I was thinking more about civil suit TP may try to make against preparer for errors that can no longer be corrected via amended return. Several years ago I had a divorced client where ex claimed children as dependents but the children lived w/ her. She was entitled to substantial EIC that previous preparer did not claim. I amended open returns, but in theory if within state legal SOL she could have made a claim against previous preparer.

Comment

I was thinking more about civil suit TP may try to make against preparer for errors that can no longer be corrected via amended return. Several years ago I had a divorced client where ex claimed children as dependents but the children lived w/ her. She was entitled to substantial EIC that previous preparer did not claim. I amended open returns, but in theory if within state legal SOL she could have made a claim against previous preparer.
        Taxpayer signed the copy of the return or 8879 under penalties of perjury.

Did the taxpayer supply enough information for the tax preparer to complete the EIC checklist?

I have had situations where I did not calculate EIC based on the taxpayer response or lack of response as required by the checklist. I actually lost clients because someone else was willing to overlook that.

The burden of proof is on the taxpayer and it is pretty stiff for a situation like that to win in a civil lawsuit.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Isn't it just awful when these nasty clients ask for something? I mean I furnished him one copy already! Even if I can send him another, and it won't cost me a penny to do it, why should I have to spend three or four minutes of my valuable time sending him something I already sent him once? Five minutes, you say? It's even worse than I thought!

And these clients who have the nerve to bother me by calling to ask a question! Who do they think they are? Clients?

I wish they would all just leave me alone. Then I could really get my business going!!
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            Taxpayer signed the copy of the return or 8879 under penalties of perjury.

Did the taxpayer supply enough information for the tax preparer to complete the EIC checklist?

I have had situations where I did not calculate EIC based on the taxpayer response or lack of response as required by the checklist. I actually lost clients because someone else was willing to overlook that.

The burden of proof is on the taxpayer and it is pretty stiff for a situation like that to win in a civil lawsuit.
            I probably do overkill as far as document retention, and I've never even had a client make an accusation of wrong-doing. But I always have in the back of my mind that I would want to have the documentation available if a client/former client questioned why a did something in a particular way.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
              How and what method of email of prior documents? Example, a company offering a "secure" site or general email?
              We have a secure portal for large file transfer. For a single return I just encrypt the file.
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

suits

I probably do overkill as far as document retention, and I've never even had a client make an accusation of wrong-doing. But I always have in the back of my mind that I would want to have the documentation available if a client/former client questioned why a did something in a particular way.
                Relax..

ATSMAN brings out good points in the last post. As far as frivolous litigation, it is said that anyone can try to sue you, so consult a good local attorney and keep up your malpractice insurance.

If you are happy and makes you feel secure just keep doing what you are doing for documentation and get a good night's sleep.

Comment

Referral

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                  Isn't it just awful when these nasty clients ask for something? I mean I furnished him one copy already! Even if I can send him another, and it won't cost me a penny to do it, why should I have to spend three or four minutes of my valuable time sending him something I already sent him once? Five minutes, you say? It's even worse than I thought!

And these clients who have the nerve to bother me by calling to ask a question! Who do they think they are? Clients?

I wish they would all just leave me alone. Then I could really get my business going!!
                  We can send you some "non nasty" clients who do not ask only two times, but five to ten times for the same copy for free. Hate to give them up but if your interested it can be done.
                  Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Talk about overkill - we have electronic copies of tax returns from 1995 to present. Only once in awhile do we get a request for a copy and it only goes back to the last five years (those applying for police officer jobs or other government jobs). Occasionally, request for copy of W-2s or 1099s (last two to three years). That is about it. Thank goodness do not have to keep "paper files" (sold most of file cabinets)

Comment

Statute - some info

Interesting. Just curious as to how you would defend your work if a client tried to say you made an error on a return over 3 years ago? Is there a statute of limitations for a client to make a claim against preparer?
                      Some info - see paragraph "limiting professional responsibility"

Errors and omissions in preparing tax returns can occur easily. You might accidentally enter a number incorrectly, misinterpret a law, or misconstrue the client’s facts. Later, before an IRS audit, you might discover the mistake, raising gut-wrenching questions: Do you call the mistake to your client’s attention? Do you advise
                      Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-26-2015, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Whine of the Day

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post

In fact, I had to drop by some paperwork at a client's house and asked to use the restroom. Imagine this: this cheapskate had toilet paper that was only one-ply. !!!!!!

Comment

Paperless ?

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                          In fact, I had to drop by some paperwork at a client's house and asked to use the restroom. Imagine this: this cheapskate had toilet paper that was only one-ply. !!!!!!
                          At least that had a restroom. Very detail review of the client's business and due diligence. Hopefully they will accept the recommendation for improvement or at least a business gift of 2-3 ply may be in order, otherwise it is not worth the paper based on the assessment. With today's technology, may consider paperless, to reduce costs.
                          Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-27-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X