Electronic Copy of 2014 Tax Return Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Copy of 2014 Tax Return Requested

My client was provided with an electronic version of 2014 tax return when return was picked up in February 2015.
    Now the client is requesting electronic version and refuses to pay the additional fee for electronic version. The client signed engagement leter that doesn't specify the client will be receiving the electronic version, nor did the invoice specify anyhting. By law, I am required to provide a copy of the tax return to the client. Am I required to provide an electronic copy as well even when the client is refusing to pay additional fee.

Any resposnes are greately appreciated.

Thank you!

I assume you are referring to a pdf copy. We provide those at no cost to save the effort in making a copy. If they need a hard copy after the first one we charge for that. Can't see you are obligated but a few mouse clicks for the goodwill seems a fair exchange.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by nkustura View Post
      My client was provided with an electronic version of 2014 tax return when return was picked up in February 2015.
      Now the client is requesting electronic version and refuses to pay the additional fee for electronic version. The client signed engagement leter that doesn't specify the client will be receiving the electronic version, nor did the invoice specify anyhting. By law, I am required to provide a copy of the tax return to the client. Am I required to provide an electronic copy as well even when the client is refusing to pay additional fee.

Thank you!
      What do you mean additional fee for electronic version?

Did you give the taxpayer a pdf of the 2014 tax return? If yes I am assuming you can just as easily e-mail a copy of the pdf.

Legally you are suppose to provide a copy of the tax return as filed. I have sent several pdf's of the tax return to my clients without any additional charge for various purposes. It is just good customer relations.

If someone requests more than one hard copy and they are habitual abusers, i do charge extra for copying costs. It is minimal.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

What would you do in this case...

Thank you for your responses!

To be honest I am a bit frustrated with the client. I have provided the pdf copy of the return in the past. The client pays me for tax return service, and expects me to be available entire year to provide copies on as needed basis. The client emailed yesterday asking for the copy, since I don't work as a tax preparer/accounant during the non-tax season, I wasn't available to send the pdf copy. This morning client sent a nasty message saying she pays me for this and I need to be available any time and anywhere. To make the point, I said I have done this for you in the past for no charge and I did make myself too available even when I should have not done so. My fee enver specifies it includes tax preparation service and 5 copies of the return. I never charged for extra copies or pdf versions before, but I said normally I charge $25 for this. She said she will never pay because she pays me to do her tax return and I should send her pdf copy whenever she requests it (which is at least couple of times a year ). I think I've just had it with this client and don't feel like sending another copy unless she pays. $25 may be little too much, but considering the fact that I have to leave my other full time job early to get home, log into the computer and email her the pdf copy, it is actually cheap.

What would you do in this case?

Comment

To be honest I am a bit frustrated with the client. I have provided the pdf copy of the return in the past. The client pays me for tax return service, and expects me to be available entire year to provide copies on as needed basis. The client emailed yesterday asking for the copy, since I don't work as a tax preparer/accounant during the non-tax season, I wasn't available to send the pdf copy. This morning client sent a nasty message saying she pays me for this and I need to be available any time and anywhere. To make the point, I said I have done this for you in the past for no charge and I did make myself too available even when I should have not done so. My fee enver specifies it includes tax preparation service and 5 copies of the return. I never charged for extra copies or pdf versions before, but I said normally I charge $25 for this. She said she will never pay because she pays me to do her tax return and I should send her pdf copy whenever she requests it (which is at least couple of times a year ). I think I've just had it with this client and don't feel like sending another copy unless she pays. $25 may be little too much, but considering the fact that I have to leave my other full time job early to get home, log into the computer and email her the pdf copy, it is actually cheap.

Give her one more copy (just a few clicks for you) and then FIRE her and withdraw your engagement!
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Obligation

Thank you!
            If you already provided copy to the client you met your obligation.

However, from lesson learned reading your post, revise your engagement letter and invoice to state what you are providing and have client sign, date and acknowledge receipt of copy.

Believe it is up to client if they want paper or PDF (check the IRS website for answer) but watch out for emailing PDF copies (even protected) due to hacking problems with clients email accounts. As you know there are companies that say they provide a "secure" way to send the PDF.

Based on what you say about this client, get in writing from them the method they want the one copy you are obligated to give them.

You have to watch out for these clients. Still have a client asking for a copy of the original given to them. It has been happening every six months for three years now and counting.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Dear Client:
              Attached is the final copy of last year's return I will be providing to you - don't lose it.
              This is also the final copy of any return I will be providing to you now or in the future.
              Good luck with your next tax preparer.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

If they are not smart enough to not delete the first copy that is too bad. Unbelievable what they expect us to keep. Got a call from a client last week wanting copies of their W-2 form from 2003.
                In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Point

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  Dear Client:
                  Attached is the final copy of last year's return I will be providing to you - don't lose it.
                  This is also the final copy of any return I will be providing to you now or in the future.
                  Good luck with your next tax preparer.
                  That is short and to the point. Make sure client signs acknowledgment. Good letter. Now gives time for next client.

Comment

I routinely get requests to send them copies of W2 from previous years (mostly last 2 or 3) because they are refinancing. Since I pdf all input documents it is not a big deal and keeps the customer happy!

Comment

We didn't start to scan all documents in till 2005 so they were out of luck. Our policy is to shred all documents for existing clients after 10 years and all former clients after 3.
                      I'll always email a scan.
                      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                        We didn't start to scan all documents in till 2005 so they were out of luck. Our policy is to shred all documents for existing clients after 10 years and all former clients after 3.
                        I keep return copies and associated documents for 7 years. Is there any legal requirement to keep it even that long for the tax preparer? I know we have to keep 8879 for 3 years.

Comment

Email

How and what method of email of prior documents? Example, a company offering a "secure" site or general email?

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                            I keep return copies and associated documents for 7 years. Is there any legal requirement to keep it even that long for the tax preparer? I know we have to keep 8879 for 3 years.
                            Yes it is on the IRS website as to preparers responsibilities

Comment

Interesting. Just curious as to how you would defend your work if a client tried to say you made an error on a return over 3 years ago? Is there a statute of limitations for a client to make a claim against preparer?

Comment

Working...
                              X