Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axl

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
    So.... being from Jersey would you opt for all Springsteen all the time?
    No, but Axl Rose from Indiana 😇
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Yet another misplaced payment check

I have been on hold w/ practitioner line for hour 47 minutes!

IRS is not showing client paid 4/14 estimated payment but he has proof of check clearing. I'm guessing it got applied to 2013 tax instead of 2014 tax. Anyone know of a way to get this changed electronically without speaking to IRS?
      We seem to be seeing a lot of these "they didn't cash the check problems" on the TTB boards.

Yet another reason altogether to avoid paper checks, which are slowly going the way of the VCR.

Just curious:

1 -- Do you know what was written on the check ? It should have had something like John E. Smith, 123-45-6789, 2014 Form 1040-ES as required by the IRS instructions. Viewing a copy of the processed check might be beneficial. Most banks allow you, with a couple of mouse clicks, to see the front and the back of each check in a customer's account.

2 -- Do you know if there was included a 2014 Form 1040-ES ?

3 -- Do you know if the letter was sent to the correct mailing address, i.e. that specific for Form 1040-ES filing ? ( http://www.irs.gov/uac/Where-to-File...g-Form-1040-ES ) If it was mailed to the Form 1040 post office box there is a good chance it might have been processed "correctly" as a Form 1040 payment instead of as a Form 1040-ES payment.

As a matter of information, there generally are different mailing addresses for a resident of state XX for payment for Form 1040, payment for Form 1040-ES, payment for Form 4868, and any Form 1040X filing. For forms 1040 and Form 4868 *without* payment, those addresses also differ from those with an enclosed payment.

If paper tax returns and/or tax payments are to be mailed, it probably is now worth double-checking to be sure the mail is properly addressed. As an example, here are the various "North Carolina" mailing addresses that would be used: http://www.irs.gov/uac/NORTH-CAROLIN...-Professionals

FE

Comment

It was supposed to be sent w/ 1040ES. I always instruct to write separate checks and envelopes w/ correct voucher address if balance due and estimated. IRS said payment came in without a voucher. Since they didn't know what to do w/ it they applied to 2013 account and that they then refunded the 2013 overpayment amount to him in May 2014. He said he didn't get refund check, so he needs to sign 3911 and they will research what happened to refund check. If it hasn't cleared, they will count it as if he paid the estimate correctly.

Comment

Electronic

It was supposed to be sent w/ 1040ES. I always instruct to write separate checks and envelopes w/ correct voucher address if balance due and estimated. IRS said payment came in without a voucher. Since they didn't know what to do w/ it they applied to 2013 account and that they then refunded the 2013 overpayment amount to him in May 2014. He said he didn't get refund check, so he needs to sign 3911 and they will research what happened to refund check. If it hasn't cleared, they will count it as if he paid the estimate correctly.
          That is the reason to consider electronic filing and paying tax owed and estimated tax.

Saves a lot of time and headaches. Especially with budget cuts and long wait times to speak and/or written communication
          Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-24-2015, 05:15 PM.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Checking on the check again

Repeat reference to my Question #1 above?

Does your client instruction letter for any payment address the procedures to follow?

FE

Comment

I would request 50-60's beach music!

Comment

Is it still ridiculous?

A few weeks ago I asked the forum what they thought of filing delayed money as a prepayment of estimated taxes on the next return. I've bumped up the thread just for reference, and I guess many of you have read it.

The general concensus was that would be a dead-end street, unprofessional, and dangerous to my status as a preparer. Kinda like the commercials "Messing with Sasquatch". Or if you prefer, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature..."

This thread is the unfortunate story that happened to kathyc2. And most of us have had similar atrocities. I wonder how my above-referenced strategy stacks up with the futility she has encountered. And quite candidly, I'm not expected many of you to change your opinions, but instead ask if her incident does not provoke a second look at the strategy...

I still maintain the IRS should not be allowed to punish the innocent for their own failures, inefficiency, and unaccountability. I will continue to try to find ways for them to encounter their own problems face-to-face and not string out clients who have done nothing to deserve their treatment.

Comment

Working...
                X