This is beyond ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is beyond ridiculous

I have been on hold w/ practitioner line for hour 47 minutes!

IRS is not showing client paid 4/14 estimated payment but he has proof of check clearing. I'm guessing it got applied to 2013 tax instead of 2014 tax. Anyone know of a way to get this changed electronically without speaking to IRS?

Eservices has a module to address the miss-application of a payment.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

If you don't want to play phone tag, respond to the deficiency notice with proof of payment.

I just did one last week.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
        If you don't want to play phone tag, respond to the deficiency notice with proof of payment.

I just did one last week.
        He first got a notice in May and sent them copies of front and back of cleared check. Gets a second notice this week. I couldn't get through on the practitioner line yesterday so called the 1040 line. She told me that the 3rd party designee on 1040 is only good for one year, so she couldn't discuss any other tax year with me. That's why I thought maybe it got posted to 2013. The 2013 balance due check cleared 4/21 and 1st estimated cleared 4/22 so I doubt he accidently sent them in together.

So today POA in hand and I'm on hold for 2 hr 49 minutes. 1040 line will not allow you to even hold.

E-services won't let me set up an account, and guessing it may be because I set one up years ago and never used it.

Comment

After 3 1/2 hours, I finally got a live person.

Comment

Bill

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
            After 3 1/2 hours, I finally got a live person.
            How do you bill the client for your time in a case like this?
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
              I have eaten the cost of waiting on the phone when dealing with IRS. Just my bad luck I guess!
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Wow

I have eaten the cost of waiting on the phone when dealing with IRS. Just my bad luck I guess!
                Wish attorneys and trades people would take a lesson from you.

Comment

I always make sure I have something on hand to work on while waiting on hold on the phone with IRS.
                  I put them on speakerphone and then get on with something important.
                  Other than the unimaginative music, it's not a problem
                  (Somebody has to pay for that time).
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Shareholder of one of my better corporate accounts, so no bill. If it would have been an individual return only client, either n/c or $50 depending on relationship w/ client, length of time with me, if they are nice or grumpy, etc. The time w/ agent was only around 15 minutes or so, and I was doing other things while on hold.

Comment

Wish attorneys and trades people would take a lesson from you.
                      That is the difference between a small town tax preparer and a city slicker attorney!

Frankly I think my clients would flip out if I told them I am charging them while I was put on hold by the IRS. Being a small town stuff like that spreads like wild fire!

Comment

Music

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                        I always make sure I have something on hand to work on while waiting on hold on the phone with IRS.
                        I put them on speakerphone and then get on with something important.
                        Other than the unimaginative music, it's not a problem
                        (Somebody has to pay for that time).
                        You have good concentration and patience with that music.

they need to change it to 80s; 90s or current music. It would be better use of our tax dollars. Or even a tax webinar for CE credit would do while on hold.

Comment

They should offer a choice of music genres while on hold.
                          I'm surprised somebody hasn't come up with that idea, or at least a button to opt out of music entirely...
                          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

That is the difference between a small town tax preparer and a city slicker attorney!

Frankly I think my clients would flip out if I told them I am charging them while I was put on hold by the IRS. Being a small town stuff like that spreads like wild fire!
                            LOL! You got that right! Small town preparers know each other at least by name and quality of work. There are 2 local companies that if clients bring in a return they prepared in P/Y, I pretty much know I'll be amending.

A couple years ago, a couple came to me for second opinion on return. Client is an OTR employee driver. Preparer (CPA none the less) told him no schedule A per diem allowed. I told them that it is allowed and they should take return back to original preparer and have him amend at n/c. He amended and as way of apology gave them a promotional pen w/ his name. LOL!

They then brought the amended return to me next year, and he only took 50% instead of 80%. I don't understand how people like that stay in business.

Comment

You have good concentration and patience with that music.

they need to change it to 80s; 90s or current music. It would be better use of our tax dollars. Or even a tax webinar for CE credit would do while on hold.
                              So.... being from Jersey would you opt for all Springsteen all the time?

Comment

Working...
                              X