Form BE-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form BE-10

The world just gets more and more crazy.

I can't remember if this has already been discussed here but every US person that owns at least 10% directly or indirectly in a foreign business or income producing foreign real estate must file form BE-10 with the Bureau of Economic Analysis normally by May 29 2015 but extended to June 30, 2015 for first time filers. Penalty is $2,500 to $25,000 for failure to file.

So everybody with foreign rental property needs to file as well as those owing at least 10% in a foreign business.

For more information see

BEA uses surveys to collect data about U.S.-owned business activities in other countries. The data are needed for statistics measuring the scale of direct investment abroad and the effects these activities have on the U.S. economy. Data from these surveys contribute to many of BEA's international and national economic statistics and help answer questions such as:

Time to get an urgent email out to several of my clients.

Update
    Turns out this form only needs to be done once every five years with 2014 being the latest. So not quite as onerous as first expected but still extra work to get done by June 30
    Last edited by AZUKHiker; 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM.

I posted a couple weeks ago but got no responses. I have contacted the few clients I have who this could affect. The fact the penalties are so severe and the filing became mandatory without any real notice is the worst part.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Extension Available

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      I posted a couple weeks ago but got no responses. I have contacted the few clients I have who this could affect. The fact the penalties are so severe and the filing became mandatory without any real notice is the worst part.
      Although the BEA has extended the deadline for first time filers to June 30 I am going to use their formal extension form to apply for extensions to July 31 on the basis of the limited publicity.

Comment

Have you completed a form yet? From what I can see you must order the forms so no fillable and printable form. The estimate of 79.3 hours to compile and complete the form is really scary.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

The are available online and fillable

The forms are available online and are fillable PDFs.
          BEA uses surveys to collect data about U.S.-owned business activities in other countries. The data are needed for statistics measuring the scale of direct investment abroad and the effects these activities have on the U.S. economy. Data from these surveys contribute to many of BEA's international and national economic statistics and help answer questions such as:

I have quickly looked at the two forms my client's will need, BE-10A and BE-10D, and they don't look too bad.

Tried faxing the extensions this morning and not surprisingly the BEA fax number is busy, so will email those and then mail in the forms in July.

Comment

Working...
          X