843 and IRS 2014-7 Medicaid waiver payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

843 and IRS 2014-7 Medicaid waiver payments

Anyone familiar with the new regulations for Medicaid waiver payments based on IRS 2014-7 as well as the Social Security and Medicare portion. I have prepared several amendments due to this new regulation and also filled out the 843 form to recoup the social security and Medicare tax. I was told from 2014 on that this income is to not be included on the tax return, but subtracted out. And also that for prior open years the taxpayer has the option of amending if it benefits them. (Most cases it does, but not all due to EIC if there is no other income). I prepared amendments for 2013 and 2014 for a single mom HOH status and filed the 843. For 2011 and 2012 it was not to her benefit to amend so we filed the 843. She received letters back stating she needed to submit a copy of her amended return for those years to reapply for the social security and medicare refund. I was under the impression these were 2 separate issues and one did not depend on the other. I've tried calling the number for the IRS listed on the letter she received and cannot get through to them. I realize this is new and rare but would appreciate any insight.

Q&a

If this does not address your issue (if you did not already reference it), as you say the wait on the IRS telephone #s is terrible and not getting better

IRS Notice 2014-7 allows certain Medicaid waiver payments to be excluded from income. Affected taxpayers may file amended returns.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Additional info

See link and check the various sections and sub sections shown. While on hold with the IRS you should have enough time to read it all.

Comment

I've read the IRS question and answers many times and given copies to customers who need to send proof they qualify so they know what documentation to send. But it does not address the question I need answered. It is about who qualifies to exclude the income that is Medicaid waiver payments. The second site for Cornell law talks about Medicaid not Medicaid waiver payments. Two different things. Probably not something many ever run across. I know several people personally affected by this which brought it to my attention and have met quite a few more over the past few months by referral because I have some knowledge about it. Still need to find out if filing the 843 is connected to the 1040X

Comment

Additional

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
          I've read the IRS question and answers many times and given copies to customers who need to send proof they qualify so they know what documentation to send. But it does not address the question I need answered. It is about who qualifies to exclude the income that is Medicaid waiver payments. The second site for Cornell law talks about Medicaid not Medicaid waiver payments. Two different things. Probably not something many ever run across. I know several people personally affected by this which brought it to my attention and have met quite a few more over the past few months by referral because I have some knowledge about it. Still need to find out if filing the 843 is connected to the 1040X
          Additional info. Yes it is unclear if amended returns can be done. Have you tried to contact one of the special needs organizations to get a ruling from the IRS. SEE LINK BELOW:

The Internal Revenue Service has reversed a long-standing policy and agreed to allow parents of people with disabilities who receive Medicaid waiver fun...

Comment

I've talked numerous times with Communicare who handles the Medicare wavier payments in our county and they have no clue about anything. I've tired to enlighten them and they are so not interested or involved in any way. Sad situation but that's the reality of it.

Comment

Don't

I've talked numerous times with Communicare who handles the Medicare wavier payments in our county and they have no clue about anything. I've tired to enlighten them and they are so not interested or involved in any way. Sad situation but that's the reality of it.
              Don't give up on such a very important issue for a very special group of people who need our support. You are to be complimented and those you are helping know they have your support.

Suggestion is to contact your Congessional representatives along with anyone who cares about this very important issue.

Also try this organization for support. http://specialneedsanswers.com/contact-us

Keep us posted.
              Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-19-2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Not sure if this will be of any benefit to you, and I can't even vouch for its reliability.
                You may even be way beyond the info in the article and its links.

But just in case there's something helpful in there, here it is:

Checkout the full domain details of Exactax.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Excellent

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  Not sure if this will be of any benefit to you, and I can't even vouch for its reliability.
                  You may even be way beyond the info in the article and its links.

But just in case there's something helpful in there, here it is:

http://www.exactax.com/index.php/sup...al-tax-in-2014
                  JohnH - excellent work.

Bonnie - what JohnH referenced is what you need. see link below.

Especially second to last paragraph. Also, last paragraph of the notice provides principal author of this notice is Victoria J. Driscoll of the Office of Associate Chief Counsel (Income Tax & Accounting). For further information regarding this notice, contact Ms. Driscoll at (202) 317-4718 (not a toll-free call).

The complete notice is available online at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-07.pdf

Comment

Waiver

I discussed this with PICS, a local payroll processor in the Mpls, MN area, and they say the amounts paid to a relative for performing PCA services in their home they provide are exempt from federal and state income taxes, but subject to Fica and Medi.

Comment

Payments are exempt from federal and state tax if the provider and payee live in the same home, regardless of relationship. If it is a parent caring for their own child, the payments are also exempt from social security and medicare taxes. If any other relationship or no relationship then still subject to social security and medicare

Comment

Great

Payments are exempt from federal and state tax if the provider and payee live in the same home, regardless of relationship. If it is a parent caring for their own child, the payments are also exempt from social security and medicare taxes. If any other relationship or no relationship then still subject to social security and medicare
                        Good job. What is your reference ?

Jon, something to tell the local payroll processor, if true looks like some amended returns!
                        Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-24-2015, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X