Single to Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single to Joint

is there any problem with this? previous taxpreparer filed a married couple single in 2013, although they had married in Dec of 2103. Not sure why? didn't seem to be any tax advantage. Are filing status' ever checked?

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    is there any problem with this? previous taxpreparer filed a married couple single in 2013, although they had married in Dec of 2103. Not sure why? didn't seem to be any tax advantage. Are filing status' ever checked?
    Remove all income from one and payback any refunds/claim all owed money. Amend the other to MFJ. Either taxpayer didnt tell preparer they were married or shady preparer (more money if preparing 2 returns) Filing status hardly ever unless an EIC audit (HH is usually verified)

Chris

Comment

and now another fee for me. I think they will come out better, and they also wanted it done correct. thanks

Comment

FWIW I concur with spanel's advice above.

Their combined tax liability will probably increase, especially if their incomes were roughly equal. But if one had high income and the other's was very low, their combined taxes could end up lower than on their two single returns.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

I seriously doubt it is a problem. I have a couple who came to me having filed as single individuals, insist they aren't married and have been filing as singles the last decade with me. The IRS has never questioned it and I doubt they would unless one tried to claim EIC. I've never seen an advantage and in fact it's been a significant disadvantage the last 2 years as she's been a non-income producing stay at home mom who still attends school to get her PHD.

Comment

Obviously the former preparer did not interview the clients! Prepare an amended MFJ which will tell you whether any additional tax is owed or refund due. Attach copy of both single filed returns and copy of marriage license. The tax due or refund is based on combined taxes withheld not on combined salaries. Make sure that their W4's are adjusted if needed.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X