Estimated Taxes Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estimated Taxes Refund

Client told me to put her refund towards next years estimated taxes. Now she has called saying she did not tell me to put it all towards next year only a portion. I told her that is why I asked if she was sure.

That brings me to my question, do you all have clients sign something stating they want a certain amount to go towards estimated taxes for the next year? This has never happened to me before, client coming back saying this. I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by geekgirldany; 05-27-2015, 04:26 PM.

They probably signed the 8879, which says "I have examined a copy of my electronic individual income tax return and accompanying schedules and statements for the tax year ending December 31, 2014, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct, and complete."

Line 77 of the tax return shows the amount of the refund being applied towards estimated taxes, so they DID sign something saying they are okay with that amount being put towards estimated taxes.

Comment

Yes that is true, clients do sign Form 8879 showing no refund... I did not think of that. Thank you.
      I always make sure they understand that it is going to estimated taxes.

Comment

This is one of those many reasons that migrating the client over to email or text communication can help.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I am finding that out more and more. That is my usual means of communicating with this person. Last minute pickup comes in and says "apply it towards my estimated for next year". Seems like it happens more that way than planning before they pick up.

Comment

It isn''t required by law to have this item signed for however I have a section on my worksheets, filled out in the client's hand, that asks this question. If they don't complete this section I verify by email their option before filing the return.
            I also pdf all client docs and emails into a client file on my harddrive. Makes it easier to find the email if I ever need it again.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X