Rental and dep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental and dep

Someone check me on this. TP had a rental since 2006. Used a basis number for dep that was too low due to improvements not being added to basis b4 dep. Makes his dep amount lower than that take. TP sold rental 1-03-2014. Can I recalc what the dep should have been and take that ded on sch-E as other expense. Then show this dep on the 4797 as reducing basis or can I add the improvements to the basis and recognize only the depre actually taken? Your thoughts

Form 3115 and a Section 481(a) adjustment on Schedule E. Then report the sale normally, as if the depreciation had been reported correctly over time.

Comment

Make sure that those "improvements" were not written off as repairs in prior years if you just got this new client. Over the years I have seen many roof jobs or new decks expensed!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what the dependents have to do with the rental.

Comment

Gary, not dependents my fingers quit b-4 I got the depr on there. Dealing all with depreciation. I looked at back years and no repairs or improvements ever written off. So I guess a 3115 and a 481 negative adjustment required. However I question whether I need the 3115 form.

Comment

Working...
          X