E-file Reject - First Time Home Buyer Payback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file Reject - First Time Home Buyer Payback

E-file reject - taxpayer needs to payback First Time Homebuyer credit. Been trying to call IRS (with my POA) to find out how much the payback is but cannot get through to talk with anyone. I'm guessing the payback is $250. Since I can't get through to the IRS what action can I take to resolve the issue?

Originally posted by Hoosier View Post
    E-file reject - taxpayer needs to payback First Time Homebuyer credit. Been trying to call IRS (with my POA) to find out how much the payback is but cannot get through to talk with anyone. I'm guessing the payback is $250. Since I can't get through to the IRS what action can I take to resolve the issue?
    Is this a new client for you? Do you have access to their prior tax returns?

When they got the credit were they filing MFJ? If yes the repayment is $500. See form 5405 and instructions.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

For the F1040-428-001 and F1040-429-001 reject codes the expected repayment amount is included in the reject information in the Data Value.

There is also a lookup tool on the IRS website. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/First...ccount-Look-up

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier View Post
        There is an IRS website where to find out the amount TP received, payback amount and amount already payed back. If MFJ return, lookup both spouses as both are eqully responsible.

Comment

Working...
        X