IRS says don't send info Certified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS says don't send info Certified

We are working with a client who has a correspondence audit for 2013. We have been working on this for quite awhile. We faxed info at their request in March. Last week, the client received a 90 day letter. After holding about an hour, the agent said she had no record of receiving the faxed info. I told her I would resend the info by mail and asked what address she wanted it sent to. She gave me the address and said they would prefer that we don't send it certified. I asked why and she said that it takes 2-3 months for a certified letter to reach their desk whereas a regular mailed letter will reach them in about 1 month. I told her that if I do that, the client has no way of proving that they responded in time and their only alternative would be to go to tax court. The agent said that they did have the option of going to tax court. I told her they don't want to do that! They want to get this issue settled. But, we need to protect the timing of the replies.

So, we sent it by fax, regular mail and certified. The IRS is really trying to make this as difficult as possible. She said if they missed the deadline, the client could request that the case be re-opened and they would. I told her I didn't think they would do that.

Why bother to do these audits if they don't try to process them and get the matter resolved.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

FAX to COMPUTER

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
    We are working with a client who has a correspondence audit for 2013. We have been working on this for quite awhile. We faxed info at their request in March. Last week, the client received a 90 day letter. After holding about an hour, the agent said she had no record of receiving the faxed info. I told her I would resend the info by mail and asked what address she wanted it sent to. She gave me the address and said they would prefer that we don't send it certified. I asked why and she said that it takes 2-3 months for a certified letter to reach their desk whereas a regular mailed letter will reach them in about 1 month. I told her that if I do that, the client has no way of proving that they responded in time and their only alternative would be to go to tax court. The agent said that they did have the option of going to tax court. I told her they don't want to do that! They want to get this issue settled. But, we need to protect the timing of the replies.

So, we sent it by fax, regular mail and certified. The IRS is really trying to make this as difficult as possible. She said if they missed the deadline, the client could request that the case be re-opened and they would. I told her I didn't think they would do that.

Why bother to do these audits if they don't try to process them and get the matter resolved.
    Agent asked us to fax info to her. To make sure the fax cover letter appropriate info, I asked her to repeat her ID# and name which she did. She also said that the fax goes directly to her computer and stayed on the telephone to confirmed receipt.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Avoiding Accountability

They don't want to be accountable for required action upon receipt.

The more I have to deal with the IRS, the more I'm convinced they really just want to take the easy way out.
      Go after low-hanging fruit and let the tough stuff alone.

Comment

My process

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
        Agent asked us to fax info to her. To make sure the fax cover letter appropriate info, I asked her to repeat her ID# and name which she did. She also said that the fax goes directly to her computer and stayed on the telephone to confirmed receipt.
        I have went this route with docs that do not require original signatures but I just mailed an Amended 2013 tax return in via certified but the certified where as the postal deliver just scan the # on the letter for which I can confirm online it was delivered. Then I PDF a copy of online confirm. No signature card.

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          I have went this route with docs that do not require original signatures but I just mailed an Amended 2013 tax return in via certified but the certified where as the postal deliver just scan the # on the letter for which I can confirm online it was delivered. Then I PDF a copy of online confirm. No signature card.
          It was 4 years of original signed returns faxed to the agent's computer. Then worked the issues for resolution with the agent. That was 3 years ago. Wondering if only certain geographical areas have the fax to computer technology.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

CYA. Send a copy by regular mail and one certified and fax a third. Overkill is good.

Comment

Working...
            X