Rejected returns due to SS number previously used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    I e-filed the ext for my new client and it gets rejected due to "SS# was previously filed". Called tech support and come to find out it was e-filed in another state. Contacted TP and TP replied I didn't authorize that ext to be filed other then with you (me). That is a first for me.
    Does an ERO need consent from a taxpayer to file an extension? You get mixed answers on that. What does someone do when the taxpayer hasn't come back yet and you can't get in touch with them by 4/15? Assume that they're no longer a client? Assume they expect you to file an extension? Different folks handle it differently.

Here's an older thread on it - http://forum.thetaxbook.com/showthre...file-extension

Personally, I don't file an extension without at least speaking to the taxpayer about it. And if one that I filed got rejected because a prior preparer filed one I would mail it in with the reject information attached. Who knows what information the other preparer has on it - current address? Amount being paid? Liability?

Is the other preparer doing it wrong? I don't think so personally. They made a different judgement call than I would have made on how to handle the situation but until it is spelled out in black and white I think the position they took can be justified.

Comment

Letter

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
      Does an ERO need consent from a taxpayer to file an extension? You get mixed answers on that. What does someone do when the taxpayer hasn't come back yet and you can't get in touch with them by 4/15? Assume that they're no longer a client? Assume they expect you to file an extension? Different folks handle it differently.

Here's an older thread on it - http://forum.thetaxbook.com/showthre...file-extension

Personally, I don't file an extension without at least speaking to the taxpayer about it. And if one that I filed got rejected because a prior preparer filed one I would mail it in with the reject information attached. Who knows what information the other preparer has on it - current address? Amount being paid? Liability?

Is the other preparer doing it wrong? I don't think so personally. They made a different judgement call than I would have made on how to handle the situation but until it is spelled out in black and white I think the position they took can be justified.

All my clients must sign and date an agreement letter with specific facts before any work (extensions, etc) is done. Does not take long to do and solves any future (forgotten) facts and misunderstandings.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
        All my clients must sign and date an agreement letter with specific facts before any work (extensions, etc) is done. Does not take long to do and solves any future (forgotten) facts and misunderstandings.
        I'd be wary of an engagement letter that covered filing extensions in future years, and usually the scenario where the preparer ends up filing the extension without taxpayer consent is they don't know whether or not the client is still a client or not. If they haven't seen the taxpayer yet that year they wouldn't have an opportunity to get an engagement letter signed for that year.

Comment

Clearer

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
          I'd be wary of an engagement letter that covered filing extensions in future years, and usually the scenario where the preparer ends up filing the extension without taxpayer consent is they don't know whether or not the client is still a client or not. If they haven't seen the taxpayer yet that year they wouldn't have an opportunity to get an engagement letter signed for that year.
          Engagement letter would ONLY be current year and that the client agrees with the extension and facts shown.

Once agreed and signed, then it is filed.

If in a few months the client forgot about the extension, it would be simple to answer by the client seeing either their copy of the Engagement Letter or the orgininal Engagement Letter with their signature.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I had one, a first for me. And it was filed around 8PM on the 15th. Primary taxpayer TIN already used. Refiled state return separately after initial filing rejected both, and it was accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
              We got a transcript on the first one, and it was not EIC. Just large wage income reported and tax withholding to generate refund. Standard deduction, no dependents. Nothing else on the return.
              How do you go about getting a transcript? My clients that were also affected by the Anthem breach would like to see what was filed in their names/numbers.

Comment

GetTranscript Link

Originally posted by Justataxguy View Post
                How do you go about getting a transcript? My clients that were also affected by the Anthem breach would like to see what was filed in their names/numbers.
                Individual taxpayers can get a peek at their transcripts by going to the IRS website and clicking on the GetTranscript link. They lead you through a process involving entering all your info, then if you pass the identification phase, they ask bunches of questions about the person's past that not everyone would know, then they can view their transcript of tax returns filed and info docs filed on them. If the person has already filed a Form 14039 or otherwise has an identity theft indicator on their account, they are not supposed to be able to get in, but as we have seen, things oftentimes kind of slip through the cracks at the IRS. But it is worth a try. Sometimes the person can't get through the identification process because they ask for the info exactly as it appears on the last tax return filed, and if a crook filed the last return and changed the person's address, there's no way to get past it.

Comment

Working...
                X