Extension in ATX---HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension in ATX---HELP!!!!!

I am trying to file a 4868 and the efile is showing me an error message that the "lock amount" must be checked before filing this return. I cannot figure out what that could be. Any help?

Try putting a check in the box

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
    I am trying to file a 4868 and the efile is showing me an error message that the "lock amount" must be checked before filing this return. I cannot figure out what that could be. Any help?
    What software are you using?

Did you go to the "help" tab to see what the "error" means and how to correct it? Do you have Tech Support for your software?

Pro Series tax software for form 4868 has a box to check (check this box to freeze the amounts flowing to this form) and/or place an amount in the "Amount you are paying" and the error will go away in order to send the 4868 . If un-checked usually there is an "error" message.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I am using ATX

Comment

Ok

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
        I am using ATX
        Did you try what I mentioned above?
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Your response helped me to figure out where the box could be, it was a box up top on the 4868 that I didn't notice!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

Comment

ATX has a message board. And, there's an UNofficial ATX message board at ATXCommunity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
              ATX has a message board. And, there's an UNofficial ATX message board at ATXCommunity.com
              Thanks, I am aware, just like this board better.

Comment

Reason for "freezing" tax extension information

The "lock out" comment is common to tax software, regardless of how the software uses that information.

In the simplest of terms, the numbers on hand (usually "estimate of total tax liability" and "withholding") that are present on Form 4868 and any corresponding state form at the time you file the extension(s) would automatically change once any new ( = final ) numbers are entered on the tax return prior to final filing.

The lock out number "freezing" essentially gives you the opportunity to "keep" the original Form 4868 and similar state form in the data file (for client and/or archival printing or whatever) in its original condition, i.e. at the time you filed the extension(s). Think of it as a snapshot of the filed extension form(s).

Also, dependent upon the software, any dollar amounts you paid with the extension(s) likely do not get transferred to line 70 of Form 1040 (and any similar state line) and/or to the "payments made" worksheets until you "x" the appropriate box.

Whoever one's tax software provider is (I know nothing about ATX), they should make it reasonably clear to the user the reason for the selection. I'm certain any Q & A process would mention it. (And sometimes just blindly relying on "Forms Only" can also lead to pratfalls. . .)

Just my 2ยข worth.

FE

Comment

Working...
                X