How to amend filing status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to amend filing status

I efiled clients as joint return when it should have been MFS. 1040X instructions not clear to me how to amend from joint to MFS. I know it has to be paper filed by the 15th. Do I prepare separate 1040X for each client indicating the filing status change from joint to MFS or do I amend the original joint return? Thanks

Assuming the parties are both alive you can't. Only the PR of the estate of a deceased taxpayer can do that.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

TP is deceased

Wife is PR and I mistakenly efiled a joint return for 2014 (he died in Jan 2015). Do I prepare two 1040X returns, one for each changing the filing status? This is really important - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbriar View Post
        Wife is PR and I mistakenly efiled a joint return for 2014 (he died in Jan 2015). Do I prepare two 1040X returns, one for each changing the filing status? This is really important - thanks.

Why would it be a mistake to file it MFJ?

To answer your question,

This HAS be be done by april 15th as you cant Change a MFJ return to MFS after the 15th.

Amend the Return to MFS and remove one spouse and all that spouses income (pay back or receive additional refunds)
        Paper file the removed spouse as MFS.

Chris

Comment

This is assuming the surviving spouse really WANTS to file separately. Because, even though he died, they are still allowed to file MFJ for 2014. And 2015 too, for that matter. Not clear from your post.

Comment

I agree with Burke, your post not clear, you didn't say one spouse died in 2015. but still can file MFJ for both 2014 and 2015 unless she gets married in 2015.

Comment

Working...
            X