Pro Series User filing Ext but have error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro Series User filing Ext but have error

Trying to file Ext form 4868 for new clients and error came up wanting DOB. I don't recall that error in the past. I thought name of TP and spouse (if applicable) & SS#(s) was all that was required.

Help tab

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Trying to file Ext form 4868 for new clients and error came up wanting DOB. I don't recall that error in the past. I thought name of TP and spouse (if applicable) & SS#(s) was all that was required.
    Have you tried the "HELP" tab and/or called Tech Support?
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Could you just plug something in as a temporary measure? Assuming they are not a student dependent or retired, 1/1/70 would work as a placeholder, for example, until you can get the right data. That's a pretty high-powered program you're using, so maybe it just wants to hold your feet to the fire on critical data needed before the return is completed.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Easier and LESS TIME

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        Could you just plug something in as a temporary measure? Assuming they are not a student dependent or retired, 1/1/70 would work as a placeholder, for example, until you can get the right data. That's a pretty high-powered program you're using, so maybe it just wants to hold your feet to the fire on critical data needed before the return is completed.
        Why don't you ask the client when they were born? Part of Due Diligence. You will have your answer.

Comment

I agree, but who has time to interact again with a client at this point? (unless it's by email). I was assuming AZ-TAX has reasons for not contacting the client right now and just wants to get it done & out the door. It happens
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Dont have time and cannot locate them

I had Pro Series since 2006 and I don't recall PS every requesting a DOB for filing an Ext but my memory is not as good as it use to be. No, I don't have time plus I cannot locate them. I did call Tech Support and they confirmed I need DOB's. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Transmit a fraudulent DOB to IRS ?

REALLY ? ? ?

For ANY new client, or dependent, the first thing I obtain is SSN and DOB.

It is my understanding that for any electronically filed extensions (and tax return?) the DOB also is transmitted, in the background, as a means of verification of the taxpayer as well as the obvious need for such things as CTC et al. (Perhaps at one time even prior year AGI? Or perhaps now either DOB or prior AGI??) Granted, for those who never file anything electronically this likely would not become an issue. But that is a totally separate topic.

TRUE STORY: Within the past couple of years I assisted someone who had ALWAYS paper-filed, blah blah blah. But when she tried on her own to efile (TurboTax or TaxACT ?? hardly a "high-powered" program) for the first time, her return bounced because DOB did not match info IRS had. She checked, verified, resent. . .and it bounced again. One more try, careful to check DOB, same result. Long story short, it turns out the Soc Sec folks had all along had her DOB on file (for 20+ years) with the wrong year.

Why would any professional tax preparer ever balk at something so critical as obtaining the SSN or DOB of any client/dependent of same? ? Or, even worse, fabricate such an entry?? Amazing way to do things.

FE

Comment

Let's all play nice.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                  REALLY ? ? ?

For ANY new client, or dependent, the first thing I obtain is SSN and DOB.

It is my understanding that for any electronically filed extensions (and tax return?) the DOB also is transmitted, in the background, as a means of verification of the taxpayer as well as the obvious need for such things as CTC et al. (Perhaps at one time even prior year AGI? Or perhaps now either DOB or prior AGI??) Granted, for those who never file anything electronically this likely would not become an issue. But that is a totally separate topic.

TRUE STORY: Within the past couple of years I assisted someone who had ALWAYS paper-filed, blah blah blah. But when she tried on her own to efile (TurboTax or TaxACT ?? hardly a "high-powered" program) for the first time, her return bounced because DOB did not match info IRS had. She checked, verified, resent. . .and it bounced again. One more try, careful to check DOB, same result. Long story short, it turns out the Soc Sec folks had all along had her DOB on file (for 20+ years) with the wrong year.

Why would any professional tax preparer ever balk at something so critical as obtaining the SSN or DOB of any client/dependent of same? ? Or, even worse, fabricate such an entry?? Amazing way to do things.

FE
                  I just assumed he would be paper filing and there would be "no harm, no foul".
                  I wasn't even aware that DOB is transmitted since I don't fool with e-flinging in the first place.

So, AZ-Tax, don't take my advice about the dummy entry unless you're paper filing the extension.
                  On the other hand, paper filing keeps you out of trouble in this case, even if it does make you look "un-professional".

Comment

To quote

I wasn't even aware that DOB is transmitted since I don't fool with e-flinging in the first place.

So, AZ-Tax, don't take my advice about the dummy entry unless you're paper filing the extension.
                    On the other hand, paper filing keeps you out of trouble in this case, even if it does make you look "un-professional".

" It is madness to risk losing what you need in pursuing what you simply desire." - Warren Buffet (2015 Annual Sharholders Letter)

Good quote to follow

Comment

Yes, and there were lots of other quotable lines in his latest shareholder letter.
                      This one is equally applicable to multi-million dollar corporations as well as personal family finances.

But my all-time favorite is something he said years ago - I think after the 2008 financial meltdown:

"You never know who's swimming naked until the tide goes out."
                      Last edited by JohnH; 04-14-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

For the people doing their own returns on Turbotax and the like they'll actually get a reject for an incorrect DOB. For preparers there's no rejects for it so it's just there but doesn't really matter as long as the return is correct otherwise. (* Maybe.)

It does still affect things on the return though. Various credits, deductions, etc... where the taxpayer's age comes into play. Both on the federal return and on the states. Being at least 25 and under 65 to qualify for EIC w/out a qualifying child for example. Or taxpayer must be older than dependents. Might matter if they're claiming a brother/sister. Even though there wouldn't be a reject on a return for the date of birth there could be a reject for claiming EIC without a child when they're too young or too old.

* I also suspect the IRS could use the transmitted DOB as part of their identity theft detection system. If an ERO is transmitting a bunch of returns with incorrect DOB even though they might not get an IRS reject it might raise the chance that the IRS suspects identity theft being done.

Comment

Working...
                        X