No announcement yet.

Form 4868 Payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tip: You can set it up in that section to have any PM coming TO you to also show up in your email account. That way, you see it there and don't always have to look to that little box when you are in this Forum.

Comment

Client knows that they will have a balance due. They are still paying from last year. form 4868 asks for estimate of total tax liability, I put 5000 (I don't want to put 0 knowing there will be)... then asks for amount paying with 4868... Client can't pay anything with 4868 so I have 0 in that field. Client knows about the penalties/interest if nothing is paid.

Has anyone experienced this? Can I efile?

Comment

I don't know if you can e-fling it or not.
        Someone else will have to answer that.

But you are smart to show that it is anticipated that there willl be tax due. I prefer to estimate high - there is no downside to a high estimate. The fact they they are paying nothing is irrelevant - the extension will be valid if filed on time. It doesn't matter that they already have a balance due form the prior year, or that they are on an installment plan. Each year stands on its own with repect to the extension. All you have to do is file it with a reasonable estimate of tax due.

Now when they file the return (with or without payment) and don't pay when they get a bill for the P&I (and possibly more tax due), then they will find the IRS voiding the installment agreement. But nothing happens with respect to the installment agreement until the actual return is filed.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Thanks, JohnH

Comment

The IRS "Direct Pay" website now has the option that it will automatically file the extension if a taxpayer makes a payment through that. If I don't have enough information from the taxpayer (or if they ask me a day or two before the deadline), I've been telling them to make a payment there (even if they just want to pay $1, just to file the extension).

Use Direct Pay to securely pay Form 1040 series, estimated or other individual taxes directly from your checking or savings account at no cost.

Comment

That's pretty handy, especially for a last-minute inquiry.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by MBTS View Post
                Client knows that they will have a balance due. They are still paying from last year. form 4868 asks for estimate of total tax liability, I put 5000 (I don't want to put 0 knowing there will be)... then asks for amount paying with 4868... Client can't pay anything with 4868 so I have 0 in that field. Client knows about the penalties/interest if nothing is paid.

Has anyone experienced this? Can I efile?
                Yes you can efile the Form 4868. Why not?

Comment

Working...
                X