Employee Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee Expenses

I have had two different taxpayers tell me that their previous tax preparer said that a portion of their laundry detergent and electrical expense was deductible as an employee business expense being uniforms were required. I was under the impression that if uniforms are required, dry cleaning is deductible, but not a portion of your regular washing. Am I missing something??

Peggy Sioux

I would like to see how they allocate the cost of detergent, water, electricity etc. to a uniform shirt or pants?

I have one security guard client that gets his uniform washed and ironed at a full service laundromat for $5 a piece. I told him to keep all those little receipts in a shoe box!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Other employee expenses to consider

Originally posted by peggysioux View Post
      I have had two different taxpayers tell me that their previous tax preparer said that a portion of their laundry detergent and electrical expense was deductible as an employee business expense being uniforms were required. I was under the impression that if uniforms are required, dry cleaning is deductible, but not a portion of your regular washing. Am I missing something??

Peggy Sioux
      Go for it!!

Remind him he forgot to include the depreciation on the washer/dryer, homeowner's insurance, plumber/electrician charges, trips to Costco for detergent (but keep a mileage log!!!), underwear to keep the uniforms in (more) pristine condition, and soap/water/shampoo/deodorant to keep the underwear in even better condition. Uniforms don't fit as well if the guy is malnourished, so food/drink expenses become deductible also. Inclusive of required trip to McDonalds et al for necessary sustenance (a separate mileage log entry!). Does he watch TV or surf the net while the uniforms are washing? Bingo! Another deduction for cable TV and internet access!

Oh, the list is truly endless ! ! !

(I remember my days being around those Amway and Mary Kay Schedule C folks.)

But, on a more serious note, there IS that 2% AGI haircut (whoops, another deduction!!) along with the need to itemize.

Sorry, I'm getting punchy but I am (sadly) cold sober. About ready for this tax season to END !!

FE

Comment

Working...
      X