Efile error: SS # already used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efile error: SS # already used

In the last two days, I have had two returns rejected for the same reason. SS# has already been used on an efile. So now I have to do a paper return. How do I explain and what do these individuals need to looking out for?

Answers

Depending on circumstances (parent/spouse/others claiming dependent in error versus "theft"):

1 - Paper file and attach Form 8948.

Hint: Try efiling state only. . .it might "fly" and save you some work.

2 - File Form 14039 if deemed appropriate.

3 - Strongly urge client to obtain and review carefully a recent credit check.

FE

Comment

Id theft

1. You may want to review the several postings on Identity Theft.
      2. Also helpful may be IRS form 14039 and related materials.
      Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Double check the SSNs on your client's return.

Comment

I have one of these where the dependent was claimed as a dependent on another tax return already filed. Question: will the IRS give us a transcript of that return which was filed? I know we can get it where the parents' SSN was used. (PS: Dependent did not file and claim herself. I filed dependent's return earier and made sure of that. It processed just fine.)

Comment

Both returns I have previously done, so I know SS# are correct. I have put in the 8948 and under reason stated that the return was rejected because of SS# already been used, and that this is the original return of the taxpayer. I will warn the TP of the issue and to beware.
            I've also had reportings of lots of scam IRS phone calls. No one that I know of has been taken advantage of, but there will probably be some.

Comment

Just spoke to another preparer. IRS gave her client an address in TX to mail the return with identity theft; not the usual address for our state.

Also, tell them to put credit freezes with all three credit bureaus.

Comment

Working...
              X