Reporting a 1099-S Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting a 1099-S Sale

A client bought in a 1099-S. He inherited the property. The land had a FMV of $71500. He sold the property for $40000. At this point, I do not know whether a family member purchased the land. If so, there is no lost. As far as I know, the land wasn't used for any business purchase. My question: Since he sold it for less than the FMV, how can we account for the sale and lost on Form 8949? And since it was a sale, and he collected $40000, is it reportable?

Originally posted by Thad View Post
    A client bought in a 1099-S. He inherited the property. The land had a FMV of $71500. He sold the property for $40000. At this point, I do not know whether a family member purchased the land. If so, there is no lost. As far as I know, the land wasn't used for any business purchase. My question: Since he sold it for less than the FMV, how can we account for the sale and lost on Form 8949? And since it was a sale, and he collected $40000, is it reportable?
    A 1099-S is always reportable. The rules changed around 2011 to always require reporting even if it's a non-deductible loss.

If it does turn out to be a non-deductible personal loss, it goes on the 8949 with code L, with the offsetting amount as a positive number in column g, giving you a zero in column h.

Comment

You don't say when he inherited the property. Nor do you say if he ever used it. How did he determine the FMV? Was there an appraisal? I would question him concerning the "loss."

Comment

Working...
      X