TP sold 2nd home for a loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TP sold 2nd home for a loss

TP sold house they had for 30 years and took advantage of the capital gains exclusion in TY 2013. 2014 they sold their 2nd home for a loss. Never converted this house as a rental but for some reason the title Co. issued the TP a 1099-S. I am not aware of any loss the TP can take on this property but I thought I would post it to see if I am missing something.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    TP sold house they had for 30 years and took advantage of the capital gains exclusion in TY 2013. 2014 they sold their 2nd home for a loss. Never converted this house as a rental but for some reason the title Co. issued the TP a 1099-S. I am not aware of any loss the TP can take on this property but I thought I would post it to see if I am missing something.
    I don't think the rules for issuing the 1099-S have an exception for selling at a loss, only for being able to take the 121 exclusion. Since they clearly couldn't take the 121 exclusion in 2014, my take is that issuing the 1099-S is correct.

Even if the title company wasn't required to issue it, they did. So now you have to report it as a non-deductible personal loss on the 8949. It wasn't a rental, presumably was never used for business, and it seems unlikely you can argue it was investment property unless they never actually used it.

Comment

Correct

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
      I don't think the rules for issuing the 1099-S have an exception for selling at a loss, only for being able to take the 121 exclusion. Since they clearly couldn't take the 121 exclusion in 2014, my take is that issuing the 1099-S is correct.

Even if the title company wasn't required to issue it, they did. So now you have to report it as a non-deductible personal loss on the 8949. It wasn't a rental, presumably was never used for business, and it seems unlikely you can argue it was investment property unless they never actually used it.
      Nope never was a rental, never used for any business purpose and they used it personally so no investment property.

Comment

Working...
      X