2 separate 1099S's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 separate 1099S's

Tax payer has 2 separate 1099S's, land not adjacent to home was sold, as well as the home approximately the same time..should the land be added together with the home?

What was the land used for? If it wasn't adjacent to the home and not used as part of the home/grounds, then it's a separate sale. List each 1099S on it's own depending on what it was, rental, investment, primary home, whatever, to make it easy for the IRS to match the documents.

Comment

I agree - two separate transactions to report.

Comment

about 15 or 20 years ago when a house was sold but realtor was told TP not living in the house a 1099S was issued. not sure if that is still happening but it gave me a "heads up" that I had to ask questions on how many years it was a principal residence or a rental house. OP refers to sale of a home is it sale of principal residence?

Comment

Land unrelated to rsidence sale

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
          about 15 or 20 years ago when a house was sold but realtor was told TP not living in the house a 1099S was issued. not sure if that is still happening but it gave me a "heads up" that I had to ask questions on how many years it was a principal residence or a rental house. OP refers to sale of a home is it sale of principal residence?
          History of home is more or less irrelevant to the central question.

The separate land sale stands alone.

(Were it to be part and parcel of home/lot, then there would need to be a different discussion here.)

FE

Comment

Working...
          X