I Can See a Fee Increase Coming....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Can See a Fee Increase Coming....

There seems to be a BIG increase in emailed documents this year... I just finished printing my umpteenth 1099 from a brokerage because the TP either did not send, can't/won't find, or is too scattered/lazy/unschooled in the internet... you name it. Is this a widespread practice now?

If you're talking about clients emailing documents to you, then yes it is a trend. Personally, I like it. Much better than a phone call and waiting for the papers to show up via snail mail. I've been pushing my clients for years to migrate over to email & texting to the greatest extent possiblw. It's much more efficient once one gets past the learning curve of how to manipulate the various document formats. (I just saw one yesterday that I'd never encountered, so I just did a screen shot and printed that).

I tend to charge the client more if they DON'T use email & texting. Those are the ones who waste my time dropping stuff off and/or tying up my phone. And I charge the highest fees to the ones who insist on bringing their stuff to me. My operating philosophy is to keep my clients out of my office so I can get some work done.
    Last edited by JohnH; 03-31-2015, 01:57 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

all of my customers with 1099's that needed to be printed, printed them for me thank God. But, if I had to do very much of that, would DEFINITELY charge! Ink and my time cost something!

Comment

I try receiving documents electronically, storing them electronically, and viewing them on one of my monitors as I prepare the returns. Three monitors helps. But, I do like to mark up paper, check marks, notes, etc. (I know I can do that in Adobe, but I'm old-fashioned and slow to change.) So, I often end up printing them out. I have a huge K-1 now that I tried to work with without printing the 100s of pages of schedules and states, but I may have to print a few more of the pages as I'm proofreading.

Comment

I always print to pdf, then delete the boiler plate and other pages I don't need.
          Printing the remainder 2-up saves paper and keeps everything condensed nicely.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Dealing with electronic documents

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            There seems to be a BIG increase in emailed documents this year... I just finished printing my umpteenth 1099 from a brokerage because the TP either did not send, can't/won't find, or is too scattered/lazy/unschooled in the internet... you name it. Is this a widespread practice now?
            Just curious - how are you getting access to client brokerage accounts? Are they giving you their ID/password etc?

Other issue is email security, especially if they (clients) are simply sending you PDF/JPG files.

FWIW: Although I do have several clients who now send me NOTHING on paper (they do scan a lot of stuff. . .) for many/most brokerage stuff I get that via secure/encrypted email from institutions such as Wells Fargo, BofA, etc. [It also works QUITE well for those late-season brokerage "updates" we all dread!) It generally requires the client's authorization to send me such encrypted emails, but for any number of reasons I see that as an improvement to having "full access" to a client account.

I also do NOT print every page of a Form 1099 summary packet or a K-1, although I generally do print the "important" pages for verification purposes and checking of data. Otherwise I can just scan through the PDF pages to pick up pieces of needed info, such as state % on a tax-exempt muni fund, etc. While the multiple monitors approach can work, I have an add-on for all clients for printing/postage costs where I can bump up the charges to compensate for ink/paper when I have to print out a bunch of pages.

Hope this helps!

FE

Comment

I have most of my taxpayers request that their brokers, email me the statements, which they forward by secure email. Saves me a lot of paperwork. A few clients will also provide me with their log in information to their statements so I can download. Brokers now seem to very accocmdating as a service to their clients.

Let's face it what is the percentage of tax clients that know how to read the year end reporting.

Sandy

Comment

I have clients that scan/email me (even though I tell them not to), fax me (which comes into my computer), use FileShare on my website, and have their brokers provide 1099s via the brokerage secure email. I do not want a client's log-in info to his brokerage account.

Comment

Getting more paperless

The tax software used gives 5 free downloads from clients brokerage firm

Clients who have paper copies and no electronic access to their brokerage account - We scan the their paper forms and depending on transactions either download the PDF or manual input

When clients present their folder of supporting tax info, we scan all ot it then give the clients their folder back right back to them - less paper in the office.

Use a FUJITSUI Scanner (best on the market with free tech support) and Adobe Pro (also an add on software to Adobe that allows tickmarks, etc) to make proofing, etc. easier.

Have cut down paper use by 90%. Also offer electronic copies to clients

It's the future
                  Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I hope you're not just using standard email attachments

To put it in plain terms, email is the digital equivalent of a postcard...and I would hope you wouldn't encourage your clients to send you their SSN on a postcard!

I'm all for going digital -- heck, all the paper I've kept for the last 5 years of my practice would fit comfortably in a backpack -- but you have to do it right. Get a secure client site through one of the many offerings available and encourage your clients to use that instead of email. I'm firmly convinced that part of the rise in tax fraud has to do with how comfortable people are sending tax documents via email.

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    If you're talking about clients emailing documents to you, then yes it is a trend. Personally, I like it. Much better than a phone call and waiting for the papers to show up via snail mail. I've been pushing my clients for years to migrate over to email & texting to the greatest extent possiblw. It's much more efficient once one gets past the learning curve of how to manipulate the various document formats. (I just saw one yesterday that I'd never encountered, so I just did a screen shot and printed that).

I tend to charge the client more if they DON'T use email & texting. Those are the ones who waste my time dropping stuff off and/or tying up my phone. And I charge the highest fees to the ones who insist on bringing their stuff to me. My operating philosophy is to keep my clients out of my office so I can get some work done.

Comment

Sounds nice.
                      If I ever stop paper filing I'll probably look into that.

Comment

Anything I send is always password protected.
                        What they choose to send to me is their business.
                        I'm not their momma & daddy.

Comment

Working...
                        X