Name Spelled Incorrectly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name Spelled Incorrectly

I e-filed a clients return and she just called me and told me that her last name was spelled incorrectly on the return. Her return has already been accepted by the IRS. What do I need to do, if anything?

I believe the IRS matching is only on the first 5 letters or so of last name. I don't think you need to do anything w/ IRS this year, but if client is upset maybe reprint their copy w/ the correct spelling.

Comment

Yes, I think it's the first four letters of the last name that have to match the SSN. Apologize and offer her a reprint for her files. Of course, change it now in your software so her 2015 return will rollover with the correct spelling.

Comment

It's a pity the client didn't see the misspelling herself when she signed F-8879 prior to the return being e-filed.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Also a pity

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
          It's a pity the client didn't see the misspelling herself when she signed F-8879 prior to the return being e-filed.
          Also a pity that my new client with the "simplified" return that she screwed up royally for two years straight noticed that I spelled her first name "Maria" instead of "Marie." Would that have killed anybody? No, I think not.

But, let me tell you what WILL kill you: When your daughter shops for groceries and accidentally buys decaf and you drink it for two days unawares. That, my friends, will take you right out. Right. Out.
          Last edited by RitaB; 04-01-2015, 09:41 AM.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Coffee issue

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
            But, let me tell you what WILL kill you: When your daughter shops for groceries and accidentally buys decaf and you drink it for two days unawares. That, my friends, will take you right out. Right. Out.
            Just stick to Irish coffee this time of year . . .

FE

Comment

Don't give me any ideas

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
              Just stick to Irish coffee this time of year . . .

FE
              Hahaha, I was ready to slam one back, and the most I ever drink is one glass of red wine. Oh, dear, I have a caffeine problem. Actually, it's just a problem when there is a lack of caffeine...
              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

No one can mess with my Dr. Peppers...no caffeine free Dr. Peppers. They keep me going.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
                X