Truck Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Driver

I am working on a return for a truck driver. He has lost some of his info.
    Would it be appropriate to use the info from his settlement statement for the year.

Any suggestions?

What info

are you missing and what kind of statement are you working from?
    Noel
    "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Would it be appropriate to use the info from his settlement statement for the year.
      Probably not!! Those statement figures may be correct.

Comment

Typical

"Lost my records" are typical responses from truck drivers. They get their checks and pitch the remittance advice.

Are you looking for information to complete a Schedule C or a From 2106?

Are you looking for meals, lodging, tolls, permits?

Are you looking for vehicle expenses such as fuel, insurance, repairs?

Makes a difference on what you need.

Without records, the IRS will pick up the income from the 1099 or W2. No deductions. I apply the same policy when the client won't help. That usually changes their attitude and they always come up with the missing records.
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

sch c client

I could pick up his fuel, insurance, yard repairs and a few other expenses. This sheet
          should pick up almost all his expenses. What do you think??

Thanks

Comment

your professional judgement

I'm not sure what you are asking, or rather, why. You have to use whatever records are available. The code doesn't specify what the source must be or the format. Of course you prefer contemporaneous original documents that prove both the actual payment and the business purpose, but you do the best you can. Are you worried that what he can provide is inconsistent or unreasonable? That's up to your professional judgement.

Comment

Working...
            X