Medi-Cal coverage for dependent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medi-Cal coverage for dependent

Taxpayer supported her boyfriend all of 2014 and boyfriend lived with her. Boyfriend obtained medical insurance through Medi-Cal. Taxpayer is eligible to claim boyfriend; however, taxpayer does not want to jeopardize boyfriend losing Medi-Cal coverage if she claims him. I honestly don't know how Medi-Cal coverage is determined - if taxpayer claims boyfriend, will Medi-Cal include taxpayer's income to determine if boyfriend is eligible for Medi-Cal coverage?

Medi-cal is California and Medi-Aid is other States, so you probably need to look to the website for the qualifications of your State in question.
    With all of the Health Care Issue starting in 2014 - I would certainly check on, as he might be disqualified if Medi-Cal/Medic-Aid knows that he is receiving support from other funds.

This would much the same as a person on the SSI program - if they are aware of other funds from other sources, the amount is reduced or eliminated.

Sandy

Comment

Medi-Cal Coverage for Dependent

Thanks Sandy for your input - I did look at Medi-Cal website to try to determine answer, but I did not really see anything that would answer my question. I was hoping other tax preparers had run into this issue and could provide some input.

Peggy Sioux

Comment

It won't affect his Medicaid eligibility (because California has fully 'expanded' Medicaid). Generally, only children (including adult children), spouses, and some minors are subject to the the income of other people in the Household.

Here is the legal gibberish (for clarity, I cut out a lot of stuff the doesn't directly pertain to this situation, click the link for the full gibberish):

Basic rule for individuals claimed as a tax dependent ... except that the household must be determined in accordance with paragraph (f)(3) of this section in the case of— (i) Individuals other than a spouse or a biological, adopted, or step child ...

(f)(3) Rules for individuals who neither file a tax return nor are claimed as a tax dependent. the household consists of the individual and, if living with the individual—
        (i) The individual's spouse;
        (ii) The individual's natural, adopted and step children under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section; and
        (iii) In the case of individuals under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section, the individual's natural, adopted and step parents and natural, adoptive and step siblings under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section.
        (iv) The age specified in this paragraph is either of the following, as elected by the agency in the State plan—
        (A) Age 19; or
        (B) Age 19 or, in the case of full-time students, age 21.

Comment

Medi-Cal Coverage for Dependent

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
          It won't affect his Medicaid eligibility (because California has fully 'expanded' Medicaid). Generally, only children (including adult children), spouses, and some minors are subject to the the income of other people in the Household.

Here is the legal gibberish (for clarity, I cut out a lot of stuff the doesn't directly pertain to this situation, click the link for the full gibberish):

Basic rule for individuals claimed as a tax dependent ... except that the household must be determined in accordance with paragraph (f)(3) of this section in the case of— (i) Individuals other than a spouse or a biological, adopted, or step child ...

(f)(3) Rules for individuals who neither file a tax return nor are claimed as a tax dependent. the household consists of the individual and, if living with the individual—
          (i) The individual's spouse;
          (ii) The individual's natural, adopted and step children under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section; and
          (iii) In the case of individuals under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section, the individual's natural, adopted and step parents and natural, adoptive and step siblings under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section.
          (iv) The age specified in this paragraph is either of the following, as elected by the agency in the State plan—
          (A) Age 19; or
          (B) Age 19 or, in the case of full-time students, age 21.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/435.603#f
          Thank you for providing the information from Cornell. However, I do have a question regarding the above - (f)(3) states "for individuals who neither file a tax return NOR ARE CLAIMED as a tax dependent", but if boyfriend is being claimed as a tax dependent, how does that section apply?

Appreciate your help in providing additional information.

Peggy Sioux

Comment

It's confusing, but look again at the paragraph right before that. It says individuals other than a spouse or child use the rules in (f)(3), even if they are claimed as a dependent.

Comment

Working...
            X