KinderMorgan Energy Ptrs Merger & KMI Stock Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KinderMorgan Energy Ptrs Merger & KMI Stock Issue

Has anyone dealt with these yet? It is considered a taxable transaction. I have a bunch of clients who were in this investment, and it is probably going to mean every one of them is on extension until I can plod through the basis calculations and adjustments starting back with the date of purchase......yuck. Some brokerages are just reporting the purchase price vs the sales price as gain/loss info on the 1099-B's. I have one client who has 17 K-1's, and sold 11 of them. (Does this every year, usually in Dec to take advantage of losses.) Then buys them back or gets new ones. That client will be looking for a new preparer next year!

Burke, I'm sure you've probably done some research on this already. Nevertheless, this link to a recent WSJ article may contain some helpful information or links to something useful.

Also, the information that comes with the Kinder K-1s may (and should) contain accurate basis information. Warning: Don't assume the basis reported on the broker's 1099-B is correct. Brokers aren't real good yet at accurately tracking basis for partnership investments, which requires adjusting for income, losses, distributions, etc.

That client will be looking for a new preparer next year!
    Send him to me. I love clients like that!
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Burke -

I have found that the information in the basis worksheet with the K-1 packet was correct for two clients that I have done so far with Kinder Morgan. Both were clients that we have tracked basis since day one. So, if you can get the initial basis from broker, it should be accurate with the worksheet.

Comment

I've had one client whose basis per the K-1 attachment was correct too.

Comment

I have the original purchase information on most, and can get it easily enough on the rest. The information provided on the worksheets with the K-1's for KinderMorgan and indeed all the rest of the various other LP's (all oil/gas/natural resource entities) are showing ordinary gain, reportable on 4797, part II, line 10 and no capital gain, even though some of these were purchased well over one year prior to the sale. Is this correct? Where reported on the 1099 from the broker, it shows long-term capital gain, but I do not believe in those cases any basis adjustments have been made, so I am not relying on that.
          Last edited by Burke; 03-24-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
            Burke, I'm sure you've probably done some research on this already. Nevertheless, this link to a recent WSJ article may contain some helpful information or links to something useful.

Also, the information that comes with the Kinder K-1s may (and should) contain accurate basis information. Warning: Don't assume the basis reported on the broker's 1099-B is correct. Brokers aren't real good yet at accurately tracking basis for partnership investments, which requires adjusting for income, losses, distributions, etc.

Send him to me. I love clients like that!
            Can't access the WSJ article without subscribing to it, and I am sure this client might like to fly to Reno! But I wouldn't pass this one off on anybody. With or without the K-1's.

Comment

My clients had ordinary gain and capital gain on the sale of the Kinder Morgan Units. First, you compute the overall gain on the worksheet. Then Kinder Morgan gives you the amount to back out for reporting as ordinary gain. The difference in the overall gain and the ordinary gain that is provided on the worksheet is the capital gain (ST or LT depending on holding period). I guess in some instances, a taxpayer may not have capital gain (probably depends on how long it was owned).

Comment

Originally posted by Burke
                Can't access the WSJ article without subscribing to it.
                Hmmm ... I couldn't either by clicking on my own link ... got the "subscribe first" version instead. I believe this will work:
                Roland Slugg
                "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by TXEA View Post
                  My clients had ordinary gain and capital gain on the sale of the Kinder Morgan Units. First, you compute the overall gain on the worksheet. Then Kinder Morgan gives you the amount to back out for reporting as ordinary gain. The difference in the overall gain and the ordinary gain that is provided on the worksheet is the capital gain (ST or LT depending on holding period). I guess in some instances, a taxpayer may not have capital gain (probably depends on how long it was owned).
                  Thanks. Yes, some are short term and wouldn't have LTCG. But on those that do, I think I can get that to work. It seems to me that the Ordinary Gain info has to do with Bonus Depreciation recapture. Is that how you understand it? There are calculation sheets provided for both conforming and non-conforming states. VA is non-conforming.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                    Hmmm ... I couldn't either by clicking on my own link ... got the "subscribe first" version instead. I believe this will work:
                    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...89217033,d.aWw
                    Nope, same result.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      Thanks. Yes, some are short term and wouldn't have LTCG. But on those that do, I think I can get that to work. It seems to me that the Ordinary Gain info has to do with Bonus Depreciation recapture. Is that how you understand it? There are calculation sheets provided for both conforming and non-conforming states. VA is non-conforming.
                      Yes, and IDC recapture

Comment

Got it, thanks. Just need to be able to explain it to the client. Do you understand the holding period for those who elected to take KMI stock in the exchange, to be long-term (using the original date of purchase of the LP?)
                        Last edited by Burke; 03-28-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Burke - The holding period starts anew with the stock received.

Comment

This started on Forbes and redirected to

Investors in Kinder Morgan Energy Partners (KMP), Kinder Morgan Management (KMR) and El Paso Pipeline Partners (EPB) are now the proud owners of Kinder Morgan I

Comment

Burke tells me he couldn't get to it without signing up for premium content. I did have to click off the log-in box once and another time had to click to get the dark screen to lighten again. But, here's my cut & paste from the non-premium content:

Kinder Morgan: Filing Your Taxes After The KMP-KMI Merger
                              March 09, 2015 | About: KMI +0%

Charles Sizemore

Investors in Kinder Morgan Energy Partners (KMP), Kinder Morgan Management (KMR) and El Paso Pipeline Partners (EPB) are now the proud owners of Kinder Morgan Inc. (KMI) after the reorganization of the Kinder Morgan empire last year. While I consider this to be a great development for shareholders, it does raise a few questions come tax time.

I love MLPs. I love the high cash distributions, and I love the fact that in most years, the distributions are considered mostly tax-free returns of capital. Congress was really on to a good idea when they created the MLP investment vehicle in 1986.

But as much as I love MLPs, the taxes can be messy, even in the absence of a merger or reorganization. You have to input K1 data into your tax return, and energy MLP K1s can be several pages long and filled with obscure accounting for depreciation and depletion.

Let’s dig into the details and see what Kinder Morgan shareholders should expect when filing their 2014 taxes.

Holders of Kinder Morgan Inc.
                              I’ll start with an easy one: Shareholders who owned KMI going into the reorganization. If you owned KMI, then absolutely nothing changes for you. Dividends are reported on your broker’s 1099-div, and any sales in 2014 will show up on your broker’s 1099-b. There is nothing new under the sun here.

Holders of Kinder Morgan Management
                              Here too, the tax accounting is simple. If you owned KMR, you received 2.48 shares of KMI for every share of KMR you owned before the reorg. This is not a taxable transaction, and your cost basis in KMR becomes your cost basis in KMI. The only taxes due would be for cash received in lieu of fractional shares.

Kinder Morgan Management was always a quirky security. It paid its distribution in shares rather than cash and thus avoiding current-year taxes. It was also safe to hold Kinder Morgan Management in an IRA as it did not produce any unrelated business taxable income. Shareholders who previously held KMR in a taxable account will have to get accustomed to paying taxes on their new KMI dividends. But shareholders who previously held KMR in an IRA account will no new tax obligations at all.

One adjustment you might want to make, however, is instructing your broker to reinvest your KMI dividends if dividend compounding was a reason for your original ownership in KMR.

Holders of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners and El Paso Pipeline Partners
                              Here is where it gets complicated. In the case of both KMR and EPB, the conversion to KMI shares is deemed a “sale” in the eyes of the IRS regardless of whether you accepted KMI shares, cash or a combination of the two. Per Kinder Morgan investor relations, “The sum of the cash received and stock value received ($41.535 times KMI shares received) equals the deemed “sale price” of your partnership units.”

So, long-time investors in KMP and EPB may be looking at significant capital gains taxes due, particularly if accumulated depreciation lowered their cost basis. Additionally, some portion of your taxable gain will be considered ordinary income.

This sounds complicated, but your K1 package will have the information you need to sort it out. Look for the page titled “2014 Sales Worksheet” about halfway through the package. At the bottom of the page, you’ll have 11 boxes. The first three boxes should be prefilled with the number of units owned, the date you bought and the date you sold or converted your shares to KMI. Box 6 should also be prefilled with the adjustment to your cost basis from accumulated depreciation.

Now for the fun part. You can find the correct sales proceed amount for box 4 by looking at line L on the K1 statement. It will be the second-to-last line, “Withdrawals and distributions.”

You might need to dig through old statements to find your cost basis for box 5, or it might be included on the 1099 you received from your broker. It really depends on when you bought and who your broker is. But box 5 should be the original amount you paid for your KMP or EPD shares.

Bear with me…we’re almost done. To calculate box 8—“Total Gain/Loss”—you add boxes 5 and 6 together and subtract the total from box 4. (If box 6 has a negative value—and it should—it will have the effect of lowering your cost basis.)

We’re almost to the finish line. Subtract the value in box 9 from box 8, and put the result in box 10. This is your capital gain that should be reported on Schedule D of your 1040. The ordinary income reported in box 9 should be inputted into Line 10 of Form 4797, Part II.

If your head is spinning, don’t worry. I understand. But take the process step by step, and you’ll find it’s not quite as tedious as it first appears. And the good news is that you’ll never have to do this again. These will be the last K1s you ever receive from the Kinder Morgan companies!

One final note: If you owned KMP or EPB in an IRA or Roth IRA, none of this is necessary, as gains are not taxable. The only exception would be if you had $1000 or more of “unrelated business taxable income” in line 20. In this case, you would need to file a separate tax return for your IRA. If you find yourself in that situation, I would recommend hiring an accountant to take care of the paperwork for you. That gets into a level of complexity better left to the professionals.

Disclosures: Charles Sizemore is long KMI.

Note: This article was intended to explain in plain English the expected tax issues that you might face as an investor in the Kinder Morgan companies, but it is not specific tax advice. I am an investment adviser representative, not a CPA. If you have questions about your specific tax situation, you should consult your tax professional.

About the author:
                              Charles Sizemore
                              Charles Lewis Sizemore, CFA is the Chief Investment Officer of Sizemore Capital Management. Please contact our offices today for a portfolio consultation.

Mr. Sizemore has been a repeat guest on Fox Business News, has been quoted in Barron’s Magazine and the Wall Street Journal, and has been published in many respected financial websites, including MarketWatch, TheStreet.com, InvestorPlace, MSN Money, Seeking Alpha, Stocks, Futures, and Options Magazine and The Daily Reckoning.

Comments
                              jfreemanJfreeman - 2 weeks ago
                              For KMP, you say the entry for Sales Worksheet box 4 comes from K-1 line L Withdrawals and Distributions. I believe this is incorrect, and the line L info is only a final accounting of your capital account after the sale, to bring your capital balance to 0. I believe box 4 entries must be calculated based on the FMV of KMI shares received in exchange + cash per share received. Do you agree?

jmoll7Jmoll7 - 2 weeks ago
                              I think Jfreeman is correct although I would prefer to be wrong. The instructions on the worksheet say "enter your Sales Proceeds (net of brokerage commissions) in column 4." Since my broker recorded this transaction as a sale of KMP, wouldn't column 4 just be the proceeds received?
                              I am confused by something else: according to the worksheet, my adjustments to tax basis grossly exceed my original purchase price. Is it possible to have a negative tax basis? I realize this is the US tax code but my common sense is troubled.

marlonmMarlonm - 1 week ago
                              I also agree that the statement in Mr. Sizemore's article, "You can find the correct sales proceed amount for box 4 by looking at line L on the K1 statement. It will be the second-to-last line, “Withdrawals and distributions.” is incorrect. This statement is in direct contradiction to the Sales Worksheet instructions in the KMP K1 which state "First enter your Sales Proceeds (net of brokerage commissions) in column 4". Column 4 is titled "Sales Proceeds".
                              And I share the question asked by Jmoll7 about having a negative basis. As a long time owner of KMP with a negative basis, I question the calculation methodology on Sales Worksheet 1 which would allow the additional Basis adjustments which exceed the original purchase price to be to added to the proceeds incurring additional taxable gains.

Comment

Working...
                              X