EA Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Exam

Getting ready to do major studying for the EA exam. What study materials did most of your use. I have last yrs copy of the test but with the test being "outsourced" and a three part computer test I don't really know what to study from. Anyone have any suggestions?Will appreciate all advice.

Originally posted by Donanita
    Getting ready to do major studying for the EA exam. What study materials did most of your use. I have last yrs copy of the test but with the test being "outsourced" and a three part computer test I don't really know what to study from. Anyone have any suggestions?Will appreciate all advice.
    It's good to see you going for it.

I believe most folks who have passed the test have relied heavily on the prior year test for studying. Personally, I took the prior year test over and over, and then took an EA exam prep class given by NATP. They gave some good tips for strategy in taking the test.

I was surprised at how close the actual test was to the prior year. Many of the questions were exactly the same. I'd take a guess that outsourcing the test will take a lot of work between the IRS and the third-party, and they'll have even less time to devote to writing new questions. I'd be surprised if this year's test is much different.

Comment

Here is a link that I received in an email that may give you some additional insight.

Wishing you great success!
      Rocky

Comment

I used the Gleim

prep materials and passed on my first try. I set aside 2 hour blocks of study time, unplugged the phone and closed the windows to minimize distractions. I reccomend the computer based materials. No connection with Gleim, just a satisfied customer.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Thanks

for the info. I hate to take the test but with the new regs that will probably pass and all taxpayers will have to be licensed might as well bite the bullet. I don't think taking the test will make me anymore knowledgeable. I have no interest to practice before the IRS at least not at this time. Hope to retire in 4 more yrs.
          Can't help but wonder how HRB and the other big copmpanies that rely on first yr preparers that have taken the basis course to staff their offices at prime tax time will do. The basis course is that basic and when I took the course I know I couldn't have passed a more complex test. Also the AAPR which relies on volunteers will be hurt. Also the cost of tax preperation will probably rise when you put time and expense in testing the fees will rise which will in turn hurt the taxpayer in the long run. Wonder if Congress thought of this.

Comment

EA Exam

I took the H&R Block course and passed all parts at one time. Basis, basis, basis. Read the examples in all IRS pubs, if you're not using a textbook. Use the last FOUR years of exams. No more T/F questions, though. Find a course -- not a short, crash course -- or a local study buddy. Good luck.

Comment

Lion

Did you pass the EA test with just the basic HR course or did you take the EA course. Thinking of taking the NATP course as I am a member. I don't think HR is having the EA offered to the public this yr.

Comment

Ea

I took the HRB EA study course, about 13 weeks including textbooks. Their courses are $15 per credit for non-Block students (texts included). If course is filled with HRB employees, they might not allow outsiders. But, maximum is probably set by instructor/limits of room/etc., so I'd try it if a convenient location. Course was huge last year, with last test of old type and no certainty about the future tests; so maybe not many students this year. Might be starting NOW, so register online if you're interested.

Comment

Hrb

The quality of the HRB class is going to come down to the quality of the instructor. I didn't take the class because I didn't like the instructor (she put everyone down as dumb if they asked a question in the basic HRB class). If you are looking at taking a course I would meet with the instructor and talk with them for a while if at all possible. I could see the course being beneficial just to keep your studying on a timely path.

I was told by everyone I met that those last minute 3-4 day cram courses were a complete waste of time. Most said the class was filled with people who hadn't done any studying and it sort of brought the class to a halt as they asked questions, argued with the instructor and freaked out at how behind they were.

The basic HRB tax course is NOT going to help the EA exam at all. It "might" help on the individuals section but even then it will be minimal at best. The EA exam isn't about filling out a tax return, it's different than that.

Comment

Working...
                  X