Identity Theft Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity Theft Procedure

Well, here we go. First one. Rejected due to return already filed. I have 14039 with the appropriate documents and was getting ready to paper file. However, due to another thread on this and applying for a PIN#, I went on the IRS website and obtained a PIN# for both parties (MFJ). Now, is this good for this year due to already rejected? It says 2013. And there was not a whole lot of security in obtaining that PIN, either. Just name, SSN, DOB & address.

Filing options

GOOD question.

I was unaware one could obtain a PIN that easily/quickly.

It certainly would be beneficial to put the PIN on the paper-filed federal return. (My guess is the door is firmly closed for federal efiling for this calendar year.)

Possible suggestion: You still might be able to efile the relevant state return, with or without the PIN. If so, it cuts down on your overall paperwork. I've had limited success with that in the past.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      Well, here we go. First one. Rejected due to return already filed. I have 14039 with the appropriate documents and was getting ready to paper file. However, due to another thread on this and applying for a PIN#, I went on the IRS website and obtained a PIN# for both parties (MFJ). Now, is this good for this year due to already rejected? It says 2013. And there was not a whole lot of security in obtaining that PIN, either. Just name, SSN, DOB & address.
      Something doesn't seem right in your being able to obtain the pin that easily. It took forever for my one client to receive his pin, and that pin only came in the mail. It is a 6 digit number and it was for the 2013 return. I have not seen him yet this year but it is my understanding that he will have a new pin for 2014.

Comment

It was a snap, right on the IRS.gov website. But I rather think that is for persons who haven't filed yet? So if they have applied for one and a return is received under their SSN without it, it would reject? I question whether it can be used, however, as the confirmation shows 2013 on it. Most of these scammers did this in January, IMO, and are long gone now. I am having the TP & spouse go to IRS office on Friday for a transcript, and will have them check out the PIN thing.
        Last edited by Burke; 03-11-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I also have a client that we are working through the Identity Theft

Filing forms, etc. went online to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-A...Protection-PIN

Does not appear as easy as what you are stating
          Anyone that would like to share the procedure, I would welcome the guidelines to be prepared for year 2015,

Sandy

Comment

Yes, this is a different page on the site from the one I used. (https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-efp/getEfp.do. The number I obtained was a 5-digit number. Note Maribeth's post said it was a six-digit number, and much more information is involved, including access to Equifax reports. So I need to caution the TP not to put a freeze on that account until after this is done. (It did not say anything about the other two reporting agencies.) Did you paper file the returns with the 14039 documents?
            Last edited by Burke; 03-12-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Identity Theft Procedure

It is not as easy as you stated. I received a"Rejection due to return already filed. I couldn't believe it. This return had been rejected several times for different reasons, so I thought it was a computer glitch. I, therefore called IRS's Tax Practitioner's Hotline and inquired. I was informed that it was not a computer glitch because the filer's EFIN was different than mine. I was instructed to file a paper return, and attached Form 8948 explaining why I didn't efile, and attach the appropriate rejection copies for support, and to complete Form 14039, providing a brief description of the Identity Theft violation, and mail all this information together to IRS to the IRS Office in the state the taxpayer resides.

Also, the IP Pin for 2014 is a 6 digit number. Also, I downloaded Form 14039 from IRS's website.

Comment

Obtaining the Identity Protection Personal Identification Number

Earlier this week I checked with a client who had prior ID theft (everything!) and could not efile 2013 taxes. Client now has a six-digit pin, good for 2014 return.

The letter sent to client from IRS ("We selected you because our records show that we placed an identity theft indicator on your account or your account met other specific account criteria.") showed the starting point to be this link: www.irs.gov/getanippin . (It opens web page which is same as that provided by S T .)

Client then had to establish user ID, create password, and go through the usual qualifying (think Experian!!) questions . At the end of the process, the six-digit PIN was provided. Client's 2014 tax return is still pending, but that number is with the return information. We'll see what happens.

Also, it appears a new (annual) PIN will automatically arrive each year, but via snail mail. Can anyone confirm??

Hope this helps!

FE

Comment

Two different PINs

Yes, this is a different page on the site from the one I used. (https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-efp/getEfp.do. The number I obtained was a 5-digit number. Note Maribeth's post said it was a six-digit number, and much more information is involved, including access to Equifax reports. So I need to caution the TP not to put a freeze on that account until after this is done. (It did not say anything about the other two reporting agencies.) Did you paper file the returns with the 14039 documents?
                  I think the Electronic Filing Personal Identification Number for this site ( http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Elect...ng-PIN-Request ) is something completely different from the Identity Protection Personal Identification Number for this site ( http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-A...Protection-PIN ) .

Hence some of the confusion here. . .

FE

Comment

That is correct the new pin is sent annually as long as the identity theft indicator is on the taxpayer's tax return.

Comment

As I suspected. Then what is the point of the Electronic Filing PIN which I obtained. When would you want that? Also, would it be faster to take the 14039 forms down to the local IRS office and have them put a fraud alert at that point? Could you then apply for this ID Pin# right away? Or send with a paper return, and wait for the letter? PS: We got a transcript today from the front counter (did not talk with an IRS rep), and it shows both MFJ names/SSNs/correct address, but no bank information, no dependents claimed, or itemized deds, credits, etc.
                      Just wage income and taxes withheld, all bogus. It shows "Cycle Posted = 20150802." Do you know what date that was? No preparer info listed. Since it had the correct address, it had to be a direct deposit.

Comment

Just as a follow-up, FYI, a piece of good news. I was able to de-couple the state return from the federal and got it to e-file. Accepted today, so at least one of them is not a problem. Also, tried to convince the TP's to reduce their withholding so that they would recoup the refund sooner without waiting for the return to process. No success. They like getting that big check. Okay.......

Comment

Working...
                        X