Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estate with 2 PR's. Is only one PR required to sign Estate tax return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate with 2 PR's. Is only one PR required to sign Estate tax return?

Have an Estate with 2 Personal Reps. Is only 1 PR required to sign form 1041? Upon looking at form 1041, there is only 1 line for Fiduciary.

Yes, one can be the designated Tax Matters person.

Comment

Burke is there document for this?

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      Yes, one can be the designated Tax Matters person.
      Burke, is there a document that the other PR has to sign authorizing and/or designating the other PR to sign for tax matters?

Comment

Not for the IRS. But depending on the relationship between the 2 PR's, it might not be a bad idea to make one up. OR you could have them both sign the 8879-F. Use two forms if necessary. You keep them anyway.

Comment

Burke the issue here is .....

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          Not for the IRS. But depending on the relationship between the 2 PR's, it might not be a bad idea to make one up. OR you could have them both sign the 8879-F. Use two forms if necessary. You keep them anyway.
          Burke the issue here is 1 PR feels their form 1041 is not ready to file but the other PR feels it is.

Comment

There is only one 1041 for the estate. So now you have another problem. Why does one feel it is not ready to file? I don't think I would under these circumstances unless both are willing to sign off on it. You can send me a PM if you want.
            Last edited by Burke; 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X