Efiling Form 1310

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efiling Form 1310

I have researched the board and find yea's and no's on this subject in 2013 and 2014. Any clarification on e-filing Form 1310 for a deceased by a non-spouse, court-appointed representative? I am getting red errors, saying "must be paper-filed."

There is a few rejects that can prevent a 1310 from e-filing.

F1310-009
    Form 1310, Part II, Line 2a 'CourtAppointedRepInd' must have a choice of "No" indicated.

F1310-010
    Form 1310, Part II, Line 2b 'RepresentativeToBeAppointedInd' must have a choice of "No"

F1310-011
    Form 1310, Part II, line 3 'PaymentAccordingToStateLawInd' must have a choice of "Yes" indicated.

What that means, is if on 1310 you checked Part 1 question B you cannot e-file that return. Instead it has to be filed on paper with the court certificate attached. I find that when I ask the taxpayer these questions I always have to ask them more than once. Has a court appointed a personal representative for the estate of the decedent? I get a "Yes" a lot of the time - I think they're just giving me the answer they think I want. Of course then I have to ask again whether a court was involved at all. Often I get the "I don't know" at that point. So I send them away to get a copy of the court certificate and they figure out that their estate didn't need to go through court and we move on.

Note that Part I question A confuses some people sometimes as well. If they're filing an original MFJ tax return they're not requesting a reissuance of a check - that would happen if they failed to file the original return correctly and got a check with both names and need to get the check reissued with only one name. The only option in Part I that can be e-filed is option C.

Another source of confusion is that the 1310 isn't needed at all when they're filing a MFJ return with the deceased.

In your case, assuming there really is a court-appointed representative business rule F1310-009 will prevent e-file.

Comment

Thank you very much. I have the court appointment papers, so I definitely had to answer that question as a "yes." Mother is filing for daughter. There is an estate checking account and I have indicated direct deposit into it. I was debating about putting "Estate of XXXXX" on the line for person applying for refund on the 1310 and using the Estate ID# in lieu of the mother's SSN. What do you think?

Comment

if the mother is an appointed rep have her also file F56
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Not necessary.

Comment

maybe so but possibly prudent
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X