Legal fees for SS Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal fees for SS Disability

Client paid $6,000 in attorney fees for SS disability benefits. 85% of SS benefits are taxable. Should he deduct all $6,000 on Schedule A or $5,100 (85%)?

85%

Originally posted by Jan S View Post
    Client paid $6,000 in attorney fees for SS disability benefits. 85% of SS benefits are taxable. Should he deduct all $6,000 on Schedule A or $5,100 (85%)?
    5,100 and if I remember, it goes on line 23, subject to the 2% haircut.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Have the TP get a detailed statement from the atty that shows how much was for retention of income. You can't take an arbitrary amount.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

attorney fees deductible up to amount of taxable income, so the 85% of social security that is taxable.

Comment

You should be able to consider the entire $6,000 as applicable to getting the SSI benefit, so 85% of that amount which is the taxable portion of benefit received would be deductible on Sche A (subj to 2% AGI reduction.) That's all these attorneys do as a rule.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

it should be the 6000.
              the 85 is the just for the taxable part of SS
              it will go on sch a line 28
              if you look up the instructions for the line it used to product income which they did

Comment

Originally posted by BUSYBEE View Post
                it should be the 6000.
                the 85 is the just for the taxable part of SS
                it will go on sch a line 28
                if you look up the instructions for the line it used to product income which they did
                Perhaps you should read Rev Ruling 87-102. You might want to change your post - it is incorrect.

Comment

somewhere in my training many years ago, I remember reading that legal fees are deductible if for producing taxable income. so I interpret it to mean only up to the amount of taxable income. which in this case would be the 85% of ss

Comment

That is correct, and makes perfect sense. Same reasoning on investment advisory fees for taxable vs tax-exempt income.

Comment

Working...
                    X