Long term medical lodging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term medical lodging

My client has to take a temporary apartment away from home for bone marrow transplant. He must stay there for about 10 months, doctor's orders.
    Will I be able to deduct $50/day for him and $50/day for his caregiver for the entire time? The criteria passes the test, but it's going to be a big number, so I thought I'd ask.

Here are the rules:

Lodging

You can include in medical expenses the cost of meals and lodging at a hospital or similar institution if a principal reason for being there is to receive medical care. See Nursing Home , later.

You may be able to include in medical expenses the cost of lodging not provided in a hospital or similar institution. You can include the cost of such lodging while away from home if all of the following requirements are met.

1.The lodging is primarily for and essential to medical care.

2.The medical care is provided by a doctor in a licensed hospital or in a medical care facility related to, or the equivalent of, a licensed hospital.

3.The lodging is not lavish or extravagant under the circumstances.

4.There is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel away from home.

The amount you include in medical expenses for lodging cannot be more than $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. For example, if a parent is traveling with a sick child, up to $100 per night can be included as a medical expense for lodging. Meals are not included.

Do not include the cost of lodging while away from home for medical treatment if that treatment is not received from a doctor in a licensed hospital or in a medical care facility related to, or the equivalent of, a licensed hospital or if that lodging is not primarily for or essential to the medical care received.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

I would say Yes. It passes all the tests. So I would take it.

Linda, EA

Comment

Caveat

You might wish to get those "doctor's orders" in writing.

It is not uncommon for an "order" to turn out to be a "suggestion."

Otherwise, everything seems to meet the qualifications and $100/day should fly.

( You also might need to see what the scenario is with the caregiver. . .possibly a "household" employee and all that such involves?? )

FE

Comment

The law allows for a traveling companion so if the patient is out of his/her residence area it sounds like you are good to go. I have a client from Hawaii who went to Seattle for a bone marrow donation. It certainly wasn't as long of a trip because she was the donor not the donee.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X