non statuary stock options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non statuary stock options

Client exercised stock options and sold on same day. Form W2 shows code V for $2,099.
    Stock value on date of exercise was $3,645. This indicates to me that he paid $1,546 for
    stock at option price. It seems that his cost in the stock should the fair market value on
    that date of $3,645. Sale done through Merrill Lynch and on the Form 1099B it shows the
    purchase date and sale date the same with a sale price of $3,609. However, they show
    the cost basis as $2,079. Am I wrong in thinking that cost and sale price should be close
    to the same. If I am correct how to show on Form 8949.

Cashless exercise of stock option

Originally posted by Earl View Post
    Client exercised stock options and sold on same day. Form W2 shows code V for $2,099.
    Stock value on date of exercise was $3,645. This indicates to me that he paid $1,546 for
    stock at option price. It seems that his cost in the stock should the fair market value on
    that date of $3,645. Sale done through Merrill Lynch and on the Form 1099B it shows the
    purchase date and sale date the same with a sale price of $3,609. However, they show
    the cost basis as $2,079. Am I wrong in thinking that cost and sale price should be close
    to the same. If I am correct how to show on Form 8949.
    This is a common scenario for a cashless stock option exercise. The cost basis is what the employee "paid" for the stock the day of the event plus the amount shown as Code V on the W2.

Unless the stock price is extremely volatile within a one-day period, there will be no significant change in price and the client will often show a small loss for Schedule D, same being close to the brokerage fees to sell the stock.

Take the information as shown on the Form 1099-B, then put the option amount (the code V amount) in column g of Part I Box A of Form 8949 as a negative number, and everything should work out correctly. Your tax software should also guide you, although you might have to revert to the Q&A scenario.

FWIW: Most employers will provide a very nice "tax information" pamphlet to their employees with such a scenario. Did your client not get one??

FE
    Last edited by FEDUKE404; 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM. Reason: added info for clarity

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post

Take the information as shown on the Form 1099-B, then put the option amount (the code V amount) in column g of Part I Box A of Form 8949 as a negative number, and everything should work out correctly. Your tax software should also guide you, although you might have to revert to the Q&A scenario.

FWIW: Most employers will provide a very nice "tax information" pamphlet to their employees with such a scenario. Did your client not get one??

FE
      I am stunned. I have the same scenario but something does not add up. Reporting on the 1099-B does not match reporting on additional information provided by employer. Code of option is NQ, which I take means non-qualified. The purchases are done through payroll deduction and here is what is reported:

Form 1099-B 10 shares sold ST

Form from employer shows 250 shares as exercised AND sold, payroll taxes withheld and net amount of check employee received. What am I missing?
      Last edited by Gretel; 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Actually just found my answer: Doc from employer says: You will not get a 1099-B for this transaction, report loss......

The other sale reported on Form 1099-B is a separate transaction.

Boy, one really needs to watch out. I wish they would send official tax docs for all taxable transactions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          Boy, one really needs to watch out.
          You are right. And equity compensation seems to be making a strong comeback this year. At least a few a week so far.

Comment

Tax docs

... I wish they would send official tax docs for all taxable transactions.
            They generally do, except those pesky Forms 1099-B often do not reach the tax preparer's desk. . .

Not always, but darn near most of the time, if you see a Code V on an employee's W2 you need to ask some questions! Or, in the increasingly rare event that the employee actually held on to the stock for more than a day, explain to the client what has occurred and how that number is important to track until such time as the stock is sold.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
              They generally do, except those pesky Forms 1099-B often do not reach the tax preparer's desk. . .

FE
              Probably, in my case there was a small footnote on the payroll summary they tp will not receive a 1099-B (O'Reilly/Morgan Stanley). I find this scary but you are right, code V is a good indicator, only that I was fooled with the accompanying unrelated 1099-B and my little experience. I missed a $5 loss last year.

Comment

About those missing Forms 1099-B

Probably, in my case there was a small footnote on the payroll summary they tp will not receive a 1099-B (O'Reilly/Morgan Stanley). I find this scary but you are right, code V is a good indicator, only that I was fooled with the accompanying unrelated 1099-B and my little experience. I missed a $5 loss last year.
                Interesting observation. So far as I know, under present rules, for any stock sale (to include a cashless option exercise) a Form 1099-B *MUST* be issued.

I've had clients in the past who had no knowledge of a Form 1099-B. . .but the IRS informed them of the existence of such a couple of years down the road. One client, who worked with a national drug store chain, didn't even know she had a brokerage account. Well, she did. . .and it had a single transaction in it!

Unless there is more here neither of us knows about, *SOMEONE* had to sell the stock and I would expect a corresponding Form 1099-B, regardless of what "payroll" stated. Is there a possibility someone would have to go online (Morgan Stanley is a large firm!) to find the document? ?

This is a good summary of what likely happened with your client:

Good luck. What a mess. . .

FE

Comment

Basis reporting apparently changed this year too. The brokers apparently cannot list the wage portion of options on the 1099-B. Fun, right? One I've done so far has a nice breakdown on a supplementary statement. E*trade (may they rot in hell) made me have to allocate the amount on the W2. I just got one in that has RSUs- in box 1 wages, but not on the W2 anywhere. No supplementary statements either, so I'm back to scouring paystubs for basis.

I wonder how many self preparers are going to overpay on their options now?

Comment

Option income NOT included in Form 1099-B cost basis

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                    Basis reporting apparently changed this year too. The brokers apparently cannot list the wage portion of options on the 1099-B. Fun, right? One I've done so far has a nice breakdown on a supplementary statement. E*trade (may they rot in hell) made me have to allocate the amount on the W2. I just got one in that has RSUs- in box 1 wages, but not on the W2 anywhere. No supplementary statements either, so I'm back to scouring paystubs for basis.

I wonder how many self preparers are going to overpay on their options now?
                    I do not recall ever, including a couple of cashless options exercise trades this year, seeing any options income numbers on the Form 1099-B.

To satisfy my curiosity, I went back and checked my most recent similar stock sale. The Form 1099-B was from Computershare and page 2 of the Form 1099-B had these instructions for filling in Part 1 of Form 8949:

For cashless transactions in employee stock options

Box e: the cost basis reported on Form 1099-B

Box f: the code to enter when cost basis is adjusted <<<--- it was letter "B"

Box g: "adjustment to cost basis - enter as negative number. This is the income reported to you. This will be reported to you on Form W-2 or Form 1099-MISC by the company, and will equal (shares sold * Fair Market Value (FMV) on exercise date - (cost basis reported in (e) above)

Box h: gain or loss (column (d) - column (e) + column (g))

Can't make it too much clearer than that.

I still say there is a Form 1099-B out there. . .somewhere!!

FE

Comment

Working...
                    X