Failed adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed adoption

Parents-to-be spend $3000 in 2013, $20,000 in 2014, and $5000 in 2015 and adoption failed in 2013. What years can I start taking the credit? Maybe some credit in each year? I've read much, but nothing close to this.

Well, first of all if the child was a foreign child ... i.e. not a U.S. citizen or resident ... then the expenses do not qualify for any credit. If the child was a U.S. citizen or resident, the credit may be taken if the taxpayers otherwise qualify ... filing status, income level, etc. There is a nice little chart in the instructions for F-8839, beginning at the bottom of page 2, that should be helpful.

I thought the most interesting part of your post, though, was that the taxpayers continued to pay a rather large sum ... $25,000 ... after the adoption failed. It's hard to fathom why anyone would do that.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

My mistake, adoption failed in 2015. Sorry, didn't check my post well enough. So, now start over. parents qualify under the circumstances of MFJ and income level. I was wanting to start taking the credit in this year, 2014, using the expenses in 2013. Then would I be able to use the rest of the expenses (up to limit, of course) in 2015? or do I have to wait until 2016? (the year after the adoption failed). it was a domestic adoption.

Comment

Still would like some guidance on my adoption expenses.

Comment

Working...
        X