Election to treat QRT as part of Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Election to treat QRT as part of Estate

TP died, had revocable trust, now irrevocable and pour over will, meaning all assets are in trust, no separate tax return for estate. Beside the difference of filing calender year versus fisal year, what are the advantages/disadvantages of either?

Does anyone else here understand what Gretel is asking? Or for that matter what QRT stands for? I do not.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Sorry, it's Qualified Revocable Trust.

Comment

Yes, it is advantageous to make this election (on page 2 of the 1041) as it allows you to do only one tax return, not two -- (i.e, one for the estate and one for the trust.) Also, it allows the election of a fiscal year, as you mention. It is available only for the first two years of the estate, and the election is made by the executor and/or the trustee. See the IRS instructions for Form 1041.

Comment

Burke, thanks. I a aware of the points you mentioned but thought there might be something else. In my case there is no estate income, so it would only be one return anyway. I will have to make this decision later on this year.

Comment

If you wish a fiscal year, you should make the election. Otherwise, it is not available for a trust.

Comment

Thanks, I understand.

Comment

Working...
              X