Disclosure problems/questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disclosure problems/questions

If a client phones, asks for a copy of his 2013 tax return (he lost the one I gave him originally), can we mail another one to him without a signed disclosure form? This is a little different from them requesting one be sent to a bank or someone else, in which case they have to come in and sign the disclosure.

If yes, but his address has changed, would that have a bearing on whether to mail it or not? I would usually know his voice and would ask for DOB and SSN to confirm ID, but still...permission is not on paper and you can't be 100% sure it's him.

For married taxpayers who filed jointly, can just one of them sign the disclosure form or do both have to sign it?

In these risky times, my present policy is to not send anything to anybody without a signed disclosure form in hand or to have the taxpayer come pick it up in person, but I was just wondering what we can do?

Yes...

That's a tough one. I know every client by their voice so I've never been in a situation where I was unsure. If I didn't know, I'd tell the client there are IRS rules out there that require you to get signatures whenever you mail or otherwise provide a second copy to any client. In this day and age, we're all used to going to the doctor's office and "just sign here".

I'd cover myself and have both husband and wife sign off before I'd send a copy to someone I didn't know even if it is a client. Maybe you can put a blank line for both their SSNs and ask they fill that out. That way you're covered.

Comment

Second Copy

Providing a second copy of the return to a taxpayer is not a disclosure, because you are not providing the information to a third party.

If they have moved, it is certainly reasonable to require a written notice of their new address, with a signature. They could send it to you by fax. But you don't need to use a disclosure authorization to give a taxpayer a copy of their own return.

And you don't need a signature from both spouses if the return was MFJ. Each spouse has the right to get a copy of the return. What if they are divorced, or one spouse is deceased? Doesn't matter. If you signed the return, you have the right to get a copy.

The tax pro has the right to charge a reasonable fee for a second copy, too.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

I agree. But if you have any doubt about who he is..... how about telling him to Skype you on his computer!

Comment

Thanx for the info, guys...

Originally posted by Burke
          I agree. But if you have any doubt about who he is..... how about telling him to Skype you on his computer!
          but Burke, while I got a cell phone last year (everything's up-to-date in Kansas City) and I've heard of Skype; I don't know how to do it (are semaphore flags required?).

I think I'll just stick with the mail until it bites the dust; after all, it's gotta go through...

...by whatever means necessary!! (Like the Pony Express balloon. See its dual burners.) The famous "The mail must go through" Pony Express motto was also used later by the U.S. Postal Service. By the way, the other famous Pony Express motto, "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds," sometimes also considered to be the motto of the United States Postal Service (and is inscribed on the James Farley Post Office in New York City) is, in fact a translation of a line written 2500 years ago by Herodotus, the famous Greek writer. His master work was On the Persian Wars composed between 500 and 479 BCE. In this famous passage, Herodotus praises the stamina and persistence of horsed messengers in the service of Xerxes, king of Persia. "It is said that as many days as there are in the whole journey, so many are the men and horses that stand along the road, each horse and man at the interval of a day’s journey; and these are stayed neither by snow nor rain nor heat nor darkness from accomplishing their appointed course with all speed." Now you know...!! For more about the Pony Express, see this Web page. Taken Friday night at the first ever "Balloon Classic" at the Open Space on US-31 in Traverse City, MI. Keep an eye this Web page for future events. And see the Home page there for info about balloon rides!! (Shot #8 of 18 total from the Balloon Classic.)

Comment

Working...
          X