• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suffient ACA Documentation?

Have a tax payer with the following for health insurance for 2014:
    1.Insurance card
    2.No code DD on their 2014 W-2
    3. Unsigned letter from the HR person stating that health insurance was provided to taxpayer from 1/1/2014 through 12/31/2014 by the employer. HR person will not state how much the annual employer cost for this taxpayer was and the taxpayer does not know.

Is the above sufficient for documenting that health insurance coverage for the taxpayer for 2014 was in place?

Thank you.

It would be for me. It doesn't really matter what it cost the employer or employee. Only that he had it.
    Last edited by Burke; 02-03-2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

They have employer provided insurance and proof of it - I don't know what else would be needed.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

That should be sufficient for this year; in 2015, the employer will be required to provide a 1095-C to their employees.

Here's a good article I found on reporting ACA: http://www.efile.com/health-care-ref...amacare-taxes/

Comment

This year, I am taking their word for it. I ask questions, but require no "proof" for most clients. If they hesitate or act evasive, I would probably require proof.

Side note:
          A lot of insurance cards that I see do not have any effective dates or dates of coverage on them.

Comment

Someone should put together a checklist that goes line by line down the 1040 and covers what is sufficient documentation for each individual line. For example, if the taxpayer wants to file single you must have sufficient documentation that they're not married.

Comment

Working...
            X