Health care question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health care question

Well, I would get the most unusual situation with one of my first clients this year.

Husband and wife, both work, and have insurance through his employer. Sounds great!! Her mother lives with them. She is 65, a resident here but a citizen of Ecuador. She did not work in US for 10 years so she doesn't qualify for Medicare or Medicaid. She has insurance in Ecuador. She doesn't work and has no income. She went to marketplace and was given a price of $350 per month for insurance. She can't afford that!!!
    I'm sure she qualifies for an exemption but what one? None of the questions seem to fit her circumstances. C covers a person who is neither a US citizen or US national nor an alien lawfully present in US. Or am I reading that one wrong??

I am CONFUSED!! HELP

Linda, EA

My Guess

I am assuming
    1. She does not file US taxes,
    2, That you have deternined that she qualifies as a dependent.

As such the husband and wife are required to make sure she is insured. It is they who have to meet any exemptionis. It is they who should have bought marketplace insurance for her. If she qualifies as a dependent the H & W are required to calin her. I wouild assume that the savings from the exemption wll offset the penalty.

Comment

She has insurance just not in this country. If she needs medical attention, she goes back to Ecuador.

Does that count for anything?

Linda, EA

Comment

Read This, Maybe it will Hellp

Below is a white paper prepared at the request of Olympus Managed Health Care that addresses potential issues, which may arise under the Patient…

Comment

An insurance provider in a foreign country can apply in the US to have their plan examined and approved for minimal coverage. Void of this insurance in a foreign country does not count. I looked this up for a client to be who started a business here coming from Switzerland. They kept (and plan on keeping) the insurance in Switzerland since it is so much better. Tough call.

Comment

Working...
          X