Home office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home office

Ok, got a new one. I haven't done any research on this yet, as is for me, and we are always last right??? Anyway, for Jan-June 2014 I had a home office in my guesthouse, and there the safe harbor is the best option. For July-Dec 2014, my home office was at my house, for which case actual expenses will probably be better, as the space is smaller and I had a lot of expenses to make the office, such as a door put in, gravel, stairs, etc.. So I'm wondering if I can use both methods for the two different home offices. Any ideas?

Yes

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
    Ok, got a new one. I haven't done any research on this yet, as is for me, and we are always last right??? Anyway, for Jan-June 2014 I had a home office in my guesthouse, and there the safe harbor is the best option. For July-Dec 2014, my home office was at my house, for which case actual expenses will probably be better, as the space is smaller and I had a lot of expenses to make the office, such as a door put in, gravel, stairs, etc.. So I'm wondering if I can use both methods for the two different home offices. Any ideas?
    I would say yes, Pub. 587 page 12
    More than one home. If you used more than one home during the year (for example, you moved during the year), you can elect to use the simplified method for only one of the homes. You must figure the deduction for any other home using actual expenses

Comment

I would allocate home ofc expense by hours and sq ft. vs personal use hrs and sq ft of room calculated for the year.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

oops

I believe that the home office rules require that the home office be used exclusively for business. That precludes any personal use thus any personal/business allocation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene V View Post
          I would say yes, Pub. 587 page 12
          More than one home. If you used more than one home during the year (for example, you moved during the year), you can elect to use the simplified method for only one of the homes. You must figure the deduction for any other home using actual expenses

Thanks so much! Now that I have finally had time to look at it that's perfect!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimenright View Post
            I believe that the home office rules require that the home office be used exclusively for business. That precludes any personal use thus any personal/business allocation.
            It is used exlclusively for business. I was referring to the allocation on the home office expense form.

Comment

Working...
            X