Charity Acknowledgement Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity Acknowledgement Letter

In March, client gives $150 to a charity and does not get an acknowledgement letter. In October he gives $400 and gets an ascknowledgement letter. My associate and I disagee. Is he okay, or does he need to go back to the charity for a letter regarding the $150 gift?

I found an article that indicates that each contribution is considered separately when determining the documentation rules. So no letter is required for the $150 donation, but a letter is requred for each separate donation that is $250 or greater.

I understand a receipt is needed for cash donations (charity) for 2006. Is that correct? When I make my weekly cash deposit at my church, they don't hand out receipts.

Of course, this article is just one author's interpretation of the rules, would be curious to see what others think...

Comment

Multiple charitable donations over $250.00 total

TTB 4-20, left column. Note the second line at the top; of the column in italics.
      Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Thanks

For a change, I was correct!

Comment

Working...
        X