OT-I got insurance on the Marketplace & here's what happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT-I got insurance on the Marketplace & here's what happened

I’m self-employed. I buy my own health insurance.

I had an AARP-branded policy with Aetna. That exact policy isn’t offered for 2015.

Aetna sent a letter saying they’d enroll me in a policy with nearly the same features, and gave me the monthly cost. I looked up the same plan on Aetna’s website, and the monthly cost was about $30 or so cheaper.

I looked up the same plan on the Marketplace, and it was a further $30 or so cheaper. I don’t qualify for a subsidy, or APTC, or PTC. So that’s how I bought my Aetna 2015 health insurance.

There’s nothing on my insurance card that I can discern that indicates I bought my insurance coverage on the Marketplace, though maybe buried in one of the numbers. The policy itself is the same as if I bought it from the carrier. I’m billed by Aetna, and pay Aetna, and EOBs come from Aetna, etc.

Originally posted by BP. View Post

I had an AARP-branded policy with Aetna. That exact policy isn’t offered for 2015.

Aetna sent a letter saying they’d enroll me in a policy with nearly the same features, and gave me the monthly cost. I looked up the same plan on Aetna’s website, and the monthly cost was about $30 or so cheaper.

I looked up the same plan on the Marketplace, and it was a further $30 or so cheaper. I don’t qualify for a subsidy, or APTC, or PTC. So that’s how I bought my Aetna 2015 health insurance.

There’s nothing on my insurance card that I can discern that indicates I bought my insurance coverage on the Marketplace, though maybe buried in one of the numbers. The policy itself is the same as if I bought it from the carrier. I’m billed by Aetna, and pay Aetna, and EOBs come from Aetna, etc.
    That is how it is suppose to work! Even though you did not qualify for PTC you will still get a 1095-a!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      you will still get a 1095-a!
      Yes, in Jan 2016 I will.

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post

Good to know! I'm getting ready to shop for health insurance and knowing I won't qualify for a subsidy, I wasn't planning on even looking at the marketplace. Definitely worth a look if it can save me some money!

Comment

Working...
        X