New online IP PIN verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New online IP PIN verification

New online IP PIN verification (Identity Protection) procedure to obtain an IP PIN is in effect on the IRS website (search IP PIN). Client was issued a PIN for last two filing years, and must continue to use PIN for subsequent years. Instead of receiving PIN by mail as in the past, she received a letter instructing to go to website to verify identity online and receive IP PIN number. This appears to be a way of curtailing someone from getting a number fraudulently. I think it also gives fraudsters a new opportunity. Will we soon see fake IRS letters directing you to go to a fake IRS site to get your SS# and personal information? I wonder if online verification now applies to all who have used an IP PIN in the past, anyone else seeing this?

EdCEA

Nothing to worry about

I don't think we have to worry about ID theft anymore, the IRS has plenty of resources to handle these issues going forward.

Ok, we all needed that laugh right?? I've had clients receive the ID Theft Pin letters, with the PIN. Then, I have a few other clients that tell me they call IRS who tells them not to worry about a PIN this year. I wonder if the clients that haven't received a letter, just need to wait longer?
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

"IRS tells them not to worry about a pin this year"

Dave, I believe this is bad advice since the IRS website ( www.irs.gov/getanippin ) states that if a pin has been used you must continue to use an IP PIN in subsequent years.
      It is also stated that pins will be issued until mid February, so your clients may want to wait, or use the online method to get their pin. I would not file without a pin, since the return likely would not be processed.

Comment

My client received a CP01F notice

My client received a CP01F notice which is an invitation to use the online method to receive an IP PIN. Even though an IP PIN has been previously used, it is apparently voluntary for those receiving this notice. This means a return can be filed without an IP PIN if you choose to. Below is the IRS explanation.

Q14: I received a CP01F stating that I “may be eligible for an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number inviting me to receive an IP PIN.” What does this mean?

A14: Select individuals who were identified as possible identity theft victims have the opportunity to voluntarily opt in to receive an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number to expand protection of their account from tax-related identity theft.

Participation in this program is strictly voluntary and if you choose not to participate, you may file your return as you would normally. At this time, if you choose to receive an IP PIN, you can’t opt out in future years.

Important: If you’re unable to verify your identity using our online IP PIN system, you won’t be able to get an IP PIN. You should file your return without an IP PIN.

Comment

I am recommending to my clients who were victims of ID theft to continue using the IP Pin verification online. It is a good protection.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

If a person receives the letter indicating they are eligible for a PIN, whether they get the PIN or not, their return will have an ID theft indicator on it. This means they have added protection in case somebody tries using their SSN to file a fraudulent return, but it also means the return will be delayed a few weeks. At least that's what the IRS employee I talked to last week told me. If I call tomorrow, the person may tell me something altogether different!

Comment

Working...
            X