1095-A for everybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1095-A for everybody?

Are 1095-A forms being sent out to everyone who signed up on Obamacare or are they only being sent to those who received financial assistance with premiums? I think everyone, but am not sure.

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
    Are 1095-A forms being sent out to everyone who signed up on Obamacare or are they only being sent to those who received financial assistance with premiums? I think everyone, but am not sure.
    If individuals purchased coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, they should receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which will help complete Form 8962.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      If individuals purchased coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, they should receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which will help complete Form 8962.
      Yeah, I know about reconciling 8962 with payments, etc. but I guess the question really is, did everyone who signed up get some kind of subsidy or financial help (which would require a 1095 to give us under/overpayment info), or is there any Obamacare plan of which the clients pays 100% (if there was/is we wouldn't need the 1095). I figure they'll just send out the form no matter what the person signed up for, but wanted to know for sure if they were going to because I'm fairly sure some clients will say they got no help and didn't get a 1095.

Comment

If taxpayer is 100% sure they DID NOT receive any subsidy, they don't have to wait for any 1095-A to complete and file their tax return.

But as the tax preparer do you want to trust them when they said they paid 100%?

Do you want to go through all the calculation to figure out if they qualified for a subsidy? What if there was a life event or income change?
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Yeah, I know about reconciling 8962 with payments, etc. but I guess the question really is, did everyone who signed up get some kind of subsidy or financial help (which would require a 1095 to give us under/overpayment info), or is there any Obamacare plan of which the clients pays 100% (if there was/is we wouldn't need the 1095).
          Yes, you could have purchased insurance through marketplace without receiving a subsidy. Most people didn't do that. I had heard the statistic somewhere and I want to say it was something like 80% that went through marketplace got subsidy. High enough that if they bought through the marketplace you wouldn't want to file the return without actually seeing the 1095-A. Fortunately the number of people that bought through marketplace is low, like 5%. Probably most people already had insurance through their jobs or government anyway, and the only uninsured willing to buy insurance were the ones the government significantly paid for it mainly.

Comment

Like the old commercial Bart

Actually, it's not very old, but it is a manufacturer's dream, saying "A Prius for Everyone".

Dream on. Not this year. Seminar people have said the onus is on the insurance companies to issue the 1025 forms, which means
            1) It won't happen but rarely
            2) They don't know how to issue them
            3) If they do issue them, they will be wrong.
            4) If these large institutions cause 1025 problems, the IRS will not hold them accountable. If anyone has to sort through
            the damage, it will be the taxpayer.

I see this happening similar to 1098-T's and other documents. It will take years to get them correct, but I believe there will be
            general compliance for the 2015 year, not 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              Yes, you could have purchased insurance through marketplace without receiving a subsidy. Most people didn't do that. I had heard the statistic somewhere and I want to say it was something like 80% that went through marketplace got subsidy. High enough that if they bought through the marketplace you wouldn't want to file the return without actually seeing the 1095-A. Fortunately the number of people that bought through marketplace is low, like 5%. Probably most people already had insurance through their jobs or government anyway, and the only uninsured willing to buy insurance were the ones the government significantly paid for it mainly.
              Yeah, this confirms what I was thinking; that there are unsubsidized Obamacare plans.

To answer ATSMAN's questions: "...as the tax preparer do you want to trust them when they said they paid 100%?" and "Do you want to go though all the calculation to figure out if they qualified...?"; no, I certainly don't, but I'm also asking if 1095s are being issued for both subsidized and unsubsidized plans? If they are, then when the taxpayer says he never got one, I can tell him that a 1095 was issued and he has to either dig it up or call for a duplicate. I'm guessing a 1095 probably will be issued for all plans, but don't know for sure or if anyone else knows.
              Last edited by Black Bart; 01-13-2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

but I'm also asking if 1095s are being issued for both subsidized and unsubsidized plans?

Yes.

"Who Must File
                Health Insurance Marketplaces must file Form 1095-A to
                report information on all enrollments in qualified health
                plans through the Marketplace. Marketplaces may be
                State Marketplaces, regional Marketplaces, subsidiary
                Marketplaces, or the Federally-facilitated Marketplace."

Anyone who purchased on the marketplace.

Comment

Thank you David1980.

If you purchased your insurance through the Marketplace exchange you better show up with a 1095-A otherwise prepay my 1040X fees!

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                    Thank you David1980.
                    Yes; thanks David -- and you also, ATSMAN.

Comment

Working...
                    X