Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the RTRP test still available to take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the RTRP test still available to take?

Is the RTRP test still available to take? If so does an EA who passes the RTRP have to take additional CPE's or does the EA's CPE's double count?

rtrp

RTRP is over no more test no more designation. There never was a reason for an EA to take the test.

Comment

AFTS is the new voluntary certificate. RTRP designation should not be used for any purposes. If you have already qualified through RTRP testing you may qualify for AFTS certification without have to take additional CPE. The difference between AFTS and EA is the restriction on representing a client on appeals. AFTS has to agree to adhere to Cir 230 rules that apply, take required CPE each year, renew each year and maintain PTIN. You can check it out on NATP or other sites. IRS issues the certificate but does not do the testing.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I believe starting in 2016 a PTIN holder can NOT even get limited representation on returns they prepared and filed. They only way to get any limited representation for returns you prepared is to get with the new IRS program.

I don't like this because if they are allowing a holder of PTIN to prepare returns for compensation, then they should also get limited representation like before for the returns they prepared.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          AFTS is the new voluntary certificate. RTRP designation should not be used for any purposes. If you have already qualified through RTRP testing you may qualify for AFTS certification without have to take additional CPE. The difference between AFTS and EA is the restriction on representing a client on appeals. AFTS has to agree to adhere to Cir 230 rules that apply, take required CPE each year, renew each year and maintain PTIN. You can check it out on NATP or other sites. IRS issues the certificate but does not do the testing.
          It is AFSP not AFTS.

There is no testing in the AFSP program. You need PTIN + CE

The difference between EAs and AFSP individuals is that EAS have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers in audits, collections and appeals. At best AFSP individuals have limited rights in audits.

Comment

>>There is no testing in the AFSP program. You need PTIN + CE<<

Unless you are in the "exempt" category, you have to take a six hour course and take a 100 question test.

" Meet the requirements by obtaining 18 hours of continuing education, including a six hour federal tax law refresher course with test, and you will receive an Annual Filing Season Program – Record of Completion from the IRS."

Comment

Originally posted by JSLATER View Post
              >>There is no testing in the AFSP program. You need PTIN + CE<<

Unless you are in the "exempt" category, you have to take a six hour course and take a 100 question test.

" Meet the requirements by obtaining 18 hours of continuing education, including a six hour federal tax law refresher course with test, and you will receive an Annual Filing Season Program – Record of Completion from the IRS."
              Sorry for my slipshod post - you are absolutely correct in reference to the refresher course. I was referring to the original post involving the RTRP program which had a competency test and not the AFSP program which has a comprehension quiz. There is a huge chasm between competency and comprehension. The IRS has done a dis-service to those who took and passed the RTRP test.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
                Sorry for my slipshod post - you are absolutely correct in reference to the refresher course. I was referring to the original post involving the RTRP program which had a competency test and not the AFSP program which has a comprehension quiz. There is a huge chasm between competency and comprehension. The IRS has done a dis-service to those who took and passed the RTRP test.
                Great point on competency and comprehension. I am not positive, but during an IRS Webinar, it was stated approximately 63,000 passed the RTRP test and they might as well trash the certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by JSLATER View Post
                  Great point on competency and comprehension. I am not positive, but during an IRS Webinar, it was stated approximately 63,000 passed the RTRP test and they might as well trash the certificate.
                  A RTRP is an "exempt" person. They do not need to take the specific annual 6 hour course with the quiz. They just need 15 CPEs (compared to 18 for non RTRPs getting the AFSP certificate).

Non-credentialed return preparers learn the benefits of earning an Annual Filing Season Program - Record of Completion from the IRS. 

Comment

It is AFSP not AFTS.

The difference between EAs and AFSP individuals is that EAS have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers in audits, collections and appeals. At best AFSP individuals have limited rights in audits.
                    sorry...my bad. According to my reading AFSPs is they can't participate in appeals.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      RTRP designation should not be used for any purposes.

You can check it out on NATP . . .

NATP AFSP/RTRP FAQ: "I received my RTRP certificate, can I continue to use the RTRP designation?"

Answer: "According to the IRS, a person who received an RTRP certificate can use the designation, but the IRS just doesn't recognize it for any purpose other than AFSP requirements."

Comment

It is AFSP not AFTS.

2015 Annual Federal Tax Refresher Course if you want IRS Certificate

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                          A RTRP is an "exempt" person. They do not need to take the specific annual 6 hour course with the quiz. They just need 15 CPEs (compared to 18 for non RTRPs getting the AFSP certificate).

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals...Season-Program
                          Yes, this is my understanding as well. RTRPs need eight hours this year, 15 thereafter. See also:

Some unenrolled preparers are exempt from the Annual Federal Tax Refresher (AFTR) course requirement because of their completion of other recognized state or national competency tests.
                          Last edited by RitaB; 11-17-2014, 09:35 PM.
                          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

former RTRP

I took the 2015 annual fed refresher course given by TAXBOOK. Do I have to do anything more to get
                            the IRS certificate? Does TB pass this information on to the IRS or is it something I have to do?

Comment

Assuming you provided your PTIN, IRS continuing education providers will forward the information to the IRS. You will need additional credits. http://www.thetaxbook.com/tr_afsp_overview.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X