How often do you get a new computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you get a new computer?

In the '90's I kept my old Gateway computer for five years, probably because I paid close to $4,000. Having a five year technology gap was huge and I swore I would get a new computer every three years. It has worked for me, however, I am due for a new computer this year and I am wondering if I should go for four years on my existing Windows 7. Can you share with me what you do?

Thanks!

When they die

Which is usually within three years.

All my office computers are "dummies", the data is all on a local server.

Comment

Every three years like clockwork.

Comment

Hold Off On A New Computer

I would hold off purchasing a new computer until Windows 10 is released next year. My Win 7 computer is just fine for next tax season.

Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

We update both our server and all of our computers every 3-5 years and we're actually in the process of upgrading this fall...ugh! We're sticking with Windows 7 for another 3-5 if we can.....I held on to XP for dear life until we absolutely had to switch to 7.

Comment

Same here, 3-5 years, I am in the 4th year of Windows 7, was a big pain to switch but I never regretted. However, I am holding on like dear life to Windows 7 now and hope that my computer will last until Windows 10 has proven itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
              Same here, 3-5 years, I am in the 4th year of Windows 7, was a big pain to switch but I never regretted. However, I am holding on like dear life to Windows 7 now and hope that my computer will last until Windows 10 has proven itself.
              EXACTLY......Windows 10 or whatever the tested latest and greatest will be in a few years.

Microsoft website says support for 7 will go through 2020, so that gives me a little comfort to hang on a few more years.

Comment

Extend the Useful Life!

From what I have read so far relating to tax and accounting software, Windows 7 should work for a while. So if you are happy with Win 7, you could add more memory and a bigger hard drive and extend the useful life of your computer. I have added extra memory and SSD to my old desktop (Intel Dual Core) and it serves me just fine! If I recall the memory upgrade was less than $50 and the SSD was $199!

If you add a SSD make sure that is the boot drive. Your tax software can reside on the secondary drive.
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

My last laptop was a Lenova that lasted about 18 months before the case started cracking apart.
                  This one I've had for 2 tax season and still appears brand new. I think it'll last another 2-3 at least. I use it 9 hours per day and it never has had a problem.

The one before last I used for 4-5 tax season and it's sitting on my credenza, used for making electronic bank deposits.

My opinion, buy the latest model of Windows, buy whatever is on clearance and upgrade the memory to the most it'll accept. For this one, Bestbuy for some unknown reason put this color (blue metal) on clearance for a week or two but kept the black. I went back several months later and they had the blue metal in stock for regular price.

Comment

Working...
                  X