Waiting Period to Amend Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting Period to Amend Tax Return

So at 10pm last night, I get an efile rejection notice that one of the dependents had already been claimed on another return. Then sure enough, I looked at the returns for the kids which were prepared back in March by another individual. One claimed the exemption and the other one didn’t. The parents thus had to file without the exemption claimed for the one child. They need the exemption as they are at a way higher tax bracket. So, my question, how long should we wait to file the amended returns. My thoughts are as follows:

- Have the child tax return amended asap to reflect NOT claiming the exemption.
    - Then, wait ??? number of weeks for the IRS to process the above amended return.
    - Then, file the amended parents return reflecting the dependent and exemption.

I just don’t want to file an amended parents return without the IRS having already processed the amended return of the child. Any insight appreciated on the period of time to wait for the IRS to process the child’s amended return.

Much thanks.
    "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax" - Albert Einstein

I amended 2 days later

A couple years ago I had a situation where my helper messed up and I didn't catch till Apr 16th. I had the taxpayer come in Apr 17th to sign an amended return and mailed it off.

Comment

I've never had a problem sending an amended return right away.

As far as rejects for dependents like that, I don't remove the exemption. If the return is correct with the dependent on it - they qualify and such - I would have given them a paper copy to mail. Makes that two steps (original return + amended return) into one step. And with a reject on 10/15, you've got 5 days to mail it and be on time.

Comment

I amend the kid's return, include the kid on the parents return and tell them to mail them in separate envelopes certified mail.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

The parents...need the exemption as they are at a way higher tax bracket.
          I have a lot of clients like that. Unfortunately, they aren't entitled to an exemption due to the child's age, income, support and/or student status. Did you determine that the parents were, indeed, entitled to claim the "kid" as a dependent on their return and that he was not entitled to claim himself on his own return?

If so, here's what I would do ... assuming the parents and the child were agreeable: Prepare amended returns for the child and for the parents. Also prepare an appropriate transmittal letter explaining what happened and why the two amended returns are being filed. Ask the parents to mail both amended returns plus the transmittal letter to the IRS in the same envelope. The letter should ask the IRS to process both 1040X's together.
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
          X