Tangible Property Regulations Important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tangible Property Regulations Important

The AICPA has proposed two excellent changes to to the proposed tangible property regulations. I have provided a link to the article for those interested.

Notably, the letter to the IRS Commissioner proposes:

1. Increase the de minimis safe harbor threshold amount for taxpayers without an applicable financial statement from $500 to $2,500 and adjusting the de minimis safe harbor threshold amount on an annual basis for inflation.

2. Allow small taxpayers to elect to apply the changes prospectively without an application for a change in accounting method.

These are two excellent proposals, and I encourage everyone who is a member of any organization to contact their organization and urge them to reiterate the same proposals to the IRS.

The cost to the small taxpayer to comply with these tangible property regulations will be high. Further, preparers will be struggling to complete returns in a timely manner should Form 3115 have to be filed for a substantial number of clients.

Remember, the IRS and Treasury have indicated they expect Form 3115 to accompany the majority of tax returns filed for 2014. Form 481(a) adjustments may need to be made for all clients who have supplies, repairs, and equipment/real property.

The Regs catch is that they are required and in many cases to comply with them will require a change in method of accounting.

Please contact your organizations, congress, IRS liason, whoever.

Here is the link.

I agree

I agree that the AICPA proposal is a good one.

It is absurd that a 3115 is required to implement the new tangible property regs.

I suspect in most cases the 481(a) adjustment will be small for most taxpayers due to the use of S179 but the filing of the form 3115 does not make sense. Does the IRS seriously want several million of these forms for what will be relatively small tax changes and small changes in accounting methods.

The wonders of the tax system. :-)

Comment

Working...
    X